Are food stamps welfare, and are we mooching the system? really want to know what you think

Dh makes 9.50 an hour, at 8 hours a day, 5 days a week, some weeks 4 days. He has a second job, he makes 22.50 an hour for 4 hours a day, and this is postal work, it's random throughout the month. I am a sahm to our 3 year old daughter, daschund dog, and new free kitty cat(lol). We receive fs. We get about 150 every month. It helps make the ends meet, we can buy food for some weeks, but then we need more to make the ends meet. I will be starting a work-at-home job soon to help contribute. If I make enough to get off fs, that will be phenomenal! I also want to return to school soon, once my dd is in preschool. She will be 4 in January, and I want to start classes in 2010.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 4:15 PM on Jul. 24, 2009 in Food & Drink

• Not unless you aren't reporting your wages. Everyone needs help at some point, especially in this economy. Don't worry about what others say or think, you do what is best for your family.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 4:29 PM on Jul. 24, 2009

• I think that if you can qualify for them you can use them. They have a range that you have to fall into to get them, and they adjust how much you get accordingly with what you make and what your expenses are.
    Cherrie522

Answer by Cherrie522 at 4:19 PM on Jul. 24, 2009

• i think if you need some help buying food, and you meet the eligibility, you arent mooching the system. I'm a sahm, and SO makes decent money and we get by, but our 15 m/o son is on toddler medicaid. since he is under 6, it is free right now, but when he is 6 and if we ar still elgibile we'll hav to pay a small fee each month for the healthcare and we are ok with that! I might apply for foodstamps in the near future because our budget has been very tight lately. I cant go to work right now because of SO's work schedule and we can't afford daycare (my paychecks would most likely pay for daycare alone). I dont feel we are abusing the system because we are hard workers, we just need some help for right now!
    Owl_Feather

Answer by Owl_Feather at 4:20 PM on Jul. 24, 2009