Pagen VS. Wiccan (sp?)

Im very interested. What is the difference between the two?
What are they all about?
How can I learn more?

In case youre wondering, Im interested lately in learning about all different religions but for some reason these two have my attention at the moment. So if you could explain a bit more to me I would greatly appriciate it. And sorry if I spelled them wrong.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 4:26 PM on Jul. 24, 2009 in Religion & Beliefs

• Wiccan's are to Paganism what Catholics are to Christianity.

While Wiccan's ARE pagan not all Pagan's are Wiccan...

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 4:34 PM on Jul. 24, 2009

• I want to make a small correction... MOST wiccan's are pagan. There is a very small percentage of people that are not combining the Christian (mostly Catholic) Belief system and the Wiccan Belief system to form a "hybrid" style path called Christo-Wicca or Christo-Eclectisism... But for the needs of this question, Wiccan's are Pagan...

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 4:37 PM on Jul. 24, 2009

• Sabrina nailed it...
    MamaK88

Answer by MamaK88 at 4:38 PM on Jul. 24, 2009

• Don't I always?? LOL!!!

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 4:40 PM on Jul. 24, 2009

• Pagan as a modern religion refers to a vast number of reconstructionist religious movements, often called Neopaganism to separate it from ancient Pagan religions. Wicca is a Neopagan religion that has many specific "traditions" most of which grew from a religious movement that was made popular by some scholar-practitioners in England in the 1950s who either professed to have "found" the religions intact, surviving from ancient times, or found that remnants of ancient religions had survived & could be restructured for modern times. Paganism or Neopaganism is the label applied to any number of religions that share beliefs with ancient Pagan religions. Whoever wrote the article for wikipedia has a good grasp on the subject so for a brief overview with little bias it is a good place to start. There are several groups on CM where you can hear it "from the horses mouth".

nysa00

Answer by nysa00 at 4:41 PM on Jul. 24, 2009

• Yes, Sabrina...you always do. :-)
    anetrnlov

Answer by anetrnlov at 4:47 PM on Jul. 24, 2009

• You bet Sabrina. :)
    pnwmom

Answer by pnwmom at 4:50 PM on Jul. 24, 2009

• Well, at least it's good to know I'm good at something. lol!!

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 4:52 PM on Jul. 24, 2009

• Pagan is a "catch-all" term for any of the non-Abrahamic (Christian, Jewish, Muslim) religions. Technically, any other religion is "pagan".

Wicca is a reconstruction of ancient Pagan beliefs from Northern Europe, esp. by Gerald Gardner in the UK in the 1950s.

Wicca is therefore considered to be one of the Pagan religions, but is not the only one.
    geminilove

Answer by geminilove at 6:11 PM on Jul. 24, 2009

• Very interesting question and answers, I have wondered myself. (just thought I'd comment, lol)
    mlregalado

Answer by mlregalado at 7:56 PM on Jul. 24, 2009