can you please describe for me...

Can someone please describe how braxton hicks feel?

AND

Can you also describe how real contractions feel?

Like compare and contrast for me? Please!

I am having some pretty bad pain but I don't know if it's one of those or something else.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 4:26 PM on Jul. 24, 2009 in Pregnancy

• It would depend on how far along you are. For me the Braxton Hicks were just a tightning of my stomach to the point of pain. Actual labor to me felt like really bad menstrual cramps.
    jenree33

Answer by jenree33 at 4:36 PM on Jul. 24, 2009

• Oh when I was about 30 weeks along I had an EXCRUTIATING pain in the lower abdomin region, thought it was pre-term-it was just round ligament pain-stretching the uteris from the ligaments at your hips.
    Have you tried timing these pains? If you lie on your left side and it goes away after 30 minutes my doc said it's probably Braxton Hicks-if not time them-if not consistant-I would call your OB.
    jenree33

Answer by jenree33 at 4:38 PM on Jul. 24, 2009

• Braxton hicks are contractions you feel ini the front. like menstrual cramps. Labor pains wrap around to your back. Before you panic. the only way to know without going to the hospital is to walk around. if they go away, braxtoon bicks, if not labor pain
    Zarviemom19

Answer by Zarviemom19 at 4:39 PM on Jul. 24, 2009

• Braxton hicks wrap from front to back. Labor wraps from back to front. If your pain is starting in your lower back and wraps to the front of your belly then those are real contractions. If they start in the belly and wrap to the lower back then those are false labor contractions.
    lilbit022009

Answer by lilbit022009 at 5:22 PM on Jul. 24, 2009

• everyone is diff dont judge it by how it wraps around. braxton hicks are tightening like your muscles are balling up but labor pains feel more like REALLY bad menstrual cramps.
    Keeely07

Answer by Keeely07 at 5:45 PM on Jul. 24, 2009

• the differences you NEED to be aware of are the amount of pain, and the timing.

Braxton hicks are normally irregular mild, to medium cramping.

Contractions are regular (when timed are normally start at 10-15 minutes apart, and work slowly down to 5 minutes, and down farther).. when you get down to about 7 minutes apart, call your doctor, it's about time to go into the hospital. As they get closer together you will notice the pain slowing moving up a notch as they get closer together.
    xxhazeldovexx

Answer by xxhazeldovexx at 5:55 PM on Jul. 24, 2009

• BH = tight belly somtimes a bit uncomfortable followed with shortness of breath

contraction = OMG the worst pain i've ever felt, I'd rather chop my foot off!
    Anonymous