3yo with the worst tooth decay i've ever seen

my 3yo has really bad tooth decay. we didn't have dental insurance and couldn't afford it, until we got on MediCal. her teeth are rotted so bad from always taking juice with her to bed. she brushes them regularly, but it continues to decay. what will they do to her teeth when we take her to the dentist? will they pull them out? will they silver-cap them? i want to be able to explain to her what to expect so she doesn't freak out.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 4:37 PM on Jul. 24, 2009 in Kids' Health

• Poor thing has bottle rot. It comes from drinking sugary things like juice or even milk before going to sleep. The only thing that could have prevented this is you... even having dental care before wouldn't have stopped this.. she shouldn't have ever gone to bed with juice.
    They will probably leave most of it alone if it's not causing problems and wait for her adult teeth to come in. They might pull some if it's really bad.
    I would expect that they will yell at you... so be ready for it!
    AmiJanell

Answer by AmiJanell at 12:51 PM on Jul. 25, 2009

• They will probably cap them, at least that is what i have seen in the past. and STOP GIVING HER ANYTHING BUT WATER TO TAKE TO BED! I personally would stop giving her juice altogether; children do not NEED juice, and it really has no nutritional value. All kids need are water and milk (and even the milk is questionable, but that's even more personal). You need to start taking care of her teeth and teaching her to take care of her teeth so that she can keep her next set of teeth healthy.
    Anonymous

• the condition baby teeth are in will also have something to do with adult teeth... do all you can now to keep her teeth healthy. Best just to get her to a dentist ASAP.
    Anonymous

• she hasn't had juice in months now since i've noticed how rapidly her teeth were deteriorating. she takes water to bed & only allowed milk during the day. you can actually see the inside of her teeth, what's under the enamel. it's yellow. i feel terrible that we couldn't do anything about it until now. i'm just glad she's not hurting, but it looks like it would hurt. so they'll just cap them? some of the teeth have so little left, i don't know if theres anything left to cap.
    apple juice & orange juice messed her teeth up badly. i feel like such a bad mom.
    Anonymous

• She doesn't even need water at bed. I have three kids. They have never gotten a bottle in bed. You should try and wean her from that.
    poptart106

Answer by poptart106 at 4:56 PM on Jul. 24, 2009

• Wow I understand why you would post this and leave it with no name.... My body cringed reading this.... Explain to her that its your fault and find a good dentist... It might just be my hormones from being 8 months pregnant but this makes me want to cry you should be ashamed!
    ALDmama

Answer by ALDmama at 5:01 PM on Jul. 24, 2009

• WOw I don't even know what to say. They might cap.. might just pull them out if there's nothing left to save of the tooth. I really don't think they'll cap them though.. no point in wasting money on teeth that's going to come out anyway.. fillings possibly for the ones that aren't that bad
    starmoonlight

Answer by starmoonlight at 5:05 PM on Jul. 24, 2009

• i am ashamd.. i cry everytime i think about it. but we simply couldn't afford it. now that we have medical, we're doing somthing about it.
    Anonymous

• Ah Mamma....I feel for you. I don't want you to feel ashamed. I want you to love yourself so that you can also love your baby. You know better about the juice in the bottle at night now, so you will do better. You have the medical now and you will get her teeth properly cared for and that is good. Ask all of the questions that you can think of for the dentist about how to continue caring for her dental hygiene properly and take the baby back for every visit that is advised. I know that it is hard, but remember this.....you cannot go back and change this. Please forgive yourself, dust yourself off, and do everything that you can to do better. I see some of the posts that are not so nice.....and I say this to you, no one is perfect. NO ONE. They might think that they are, but really, they are not. We all make mistakes hon. That's all you have done. Forgive yourself and just learn better. That's all. *Hugs*
    Anonymous

• Sometimes a kid just has bad teeth. Taking water to bed is not going to cause teeth decay. NO juice or milk to bed and only plain water. Also, if your child is eating fruit snacks, STOP. Those things are horrible for teeth and can cause cavities. BTW, my friends son has had teeth capped, rotted and pulled and he didn't take anything to bed and she brushed his teeth 3 times a day. Like I said, sometimes people just have bad teeth. As to what they will do? I don't really know. I would think caps or pulling them. Both of which they will do in the hospital while the child is put under. Especially being that your child is 3. YOU ARE NOT A BAD MOTHER!! No one is perfect and the moms on here that act like they are really are not.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 6:10 PM on Jul. 24, 2009