How do I discipline an autistic 2 year old?

I provide full time care to a 2 year old boy. He was recently diagnosed with PDD-NOS. His parents and I are running in to the same problems. He just does not listen. He takes all the cushions off my couch about 25 times a day. I correct him, and put them back. Every day, same thing. He jumps on the furniture, climbs out of bed during nap times, eats things off the floor, touches things he should not. Again, same thing every day. Any advice? And we already practice positive reinforcement. And it is impossible to put everything out of his reach. I am his babysitter, this is not his home. I will not rearrange everything in my home. I have a lot of experience with children, but special needs is very new to me. Any ideas? Oh, and for the last few weeks, anytime something does not go his way, he shreiks cracker at the top of his voice, endlessly. ??????

mamaruhe2

Asked by mamaruhe2 at 4:46 PM on Jul. 24, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• I have been working with kids with autism for nearly 8 years now and I would treat him the same way you would treat another two year old as harsh as that might sound or better yet message me if you would like some better examples if I understood ur postion better I could help you acess and put some ideas into play
    ALDmama

Answer by ALDmama at 4:57 PM on Jul. 24, 2009

• If it is PDD-NOS, then he can learn to control his impulses, and he can realize what he is doing is wrong.

It takes more discipline than a neurotypical kid. What we do is time outs. My son stands in the corner (yes, even a 2 year old can do this) and he stays there until he's ready to do as he's told. For the couch cushions, don't release him until he's ready to put them back on the couch (clean up). Do it every time. If you release him from time out and he doesn't do it, he goes right back into time out. It doesn't matter how long it takes....30 seconds or 30 minutes.

Yes, he is autistic. But PDD-NOS is at the high end of the spectrum. Treat him as you would a typical child...more consistently and more often...but just the same.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 6:12 AM on Jul. 25, 2009