Should I change my kids bedtime?

My boys are 8 and 10. They have always had an 8:00pm bedtime during the school year (9-10pm in the summers) I'm wondering if this is unreasonable? Usually they get up about 6am. But my main reason for keeping it so early is so I have a couple of hours to unwind. "me time". I think it keeps me sane. What do you think is a good bedtime for kids this age? What works for you?

akmom2be

Asked by akmom2be at 4:55 PM on Jul. 24, 2009 in General Parenting

• My parents keep a nine oclock bedtime for the youngest three, 11, 13, and 13. The 16 year old stays up until 930 or 10. I think that's a good bedtime for them at that age. They don't really need to stay up later if they're waking up at 6 am everyday.
    innocencexinxme

Answer by innocencexinxme at 5:00 PM on Jul. 24, 2009

• that sounds good to me. =)
    rAbella

Answer by rAbella at 5:00 PM on Jul. 24, 2009

• William is 9 and his bedtime during the school year is 8:30 sometimes 9. he needs time up in his room to settle down. He can't do it downstairs. He doesn't really have a bedtime right now. Soon we will have to get back into the habit.
    robinsi2000

Answer by robinsi2000 at 5:16 PM on Jul. 24, 2009

• I agree that a good compromise is having them in their rooms by 8 pm allows you "me time" and them time to "veg" until a 9pm bed-time (or whatever is appropriate.)
    doodlebopfan

Answer by doodlebopfan at 5:47 PM on Jul. 24, 2009

• If they are accustomed to going to bed at 8 - keep it there !! Getting up at 6am is a great lifestyle, and going to bed at 8 allows for them to take a little while going to sleep and still get 9 hours.

"Early to bed and early to rise makes a man healthy and wealthy and wise." is a VERY true adage !

The more sleep we get before midnight, the better it is for our health and our brain !

Our daughter homeschooled, so she could usually sleep as long as she needed - and she ALWAYS slept 10 hours. she is now in college, and STILL sleeps 10 hours if her schedule allows.

Do your kids a favor and keep them accustomed to an early bedtime as long as possible. You are way ahead of the game right now . Congratulations!
    waldorfmom

Answer by waldorfmom at 6:00 PM on Jul. 24, 2009

• Hey sounds good to me. My son goes to bed at 7:30 he's 5.
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 6:58 PM on Jul. 24, 2009