Wow! so my kids just got called welfare cases in another post!

So If I only buy mu kids clothes when they are out grown or worn out and they wear a lot of hand me downs, is that 'sad' or reason for them to be called welfare cases? LOL! Please. Am I wrong of is there nothing wrong with this? BTW I am so not ashamed of what my kids wear! They get some awesome hand me downs!

But_Mommie

Asked by But_Mommie at 5:01 PM on Jul. 24, 2009 in General Parenting

• My dd would be called a welfare case for sure! She wears youngest DS's hand me downs to play in. She is the ultimate tomboy. There is no way on this green earth that she is allowed to play in her "girl clothes" ~ When we go to town, church, school she is dressed to the nines, as soon as we are home she MUST change. Right now she looks sooo unkempt ~ her hair is scraggly, like I've never brush it, when she walks she looks like *PigPen*(dirt and dust cloud encircling her) LOL She is caked with dirt and mud ~ AHHH but she is happy. People from our church and other friends give me hand-me downs always. We even swap hand me downs within our foster care agency ~ Nothing wrong with it ~ it's thrifty and wise. DH even goes to Salvation army to buy jeans to do dirty work in (wood cutting/splitting, tree climbing, painting ect) We are also a total recycling family ~ we also barter. No shame here. Good stewards of what God gives us.
    nookers

Answer by nookers at 7:14 PM on Jul. 24, 2009

• there are not a whole lot of hand-me-downs to be had in my house but it's not for lack of wanting them! i only buy my baby new clothes when she needs it. we don't do clothes shopping very often. i will admit that i do buy her clothes new, not consignment but i would never consider equating being THRIFTY with being a WELFARE case. thrifty is how you can AVOID turning into a welfare case.

and in the end, if you need help there's nothing wrong with getting a little welfare. some people just need help! as long as you're not abusing the system, fuck all what anyone else thinks!
    mellypoo

Answer by mellypoo at 5:06 PM on Jul. 24, 2009

• I got hand me downs that were just as good as new clothes! Nothing is wrong with that at all! And not getting your kids clothes unless they are needed in no means qualifies them to be called welfare cases! Whoever said that is a stupid BI***! Dont worry about them because anyone who attacks kds like that, are NOT MOTHERS.

Alysia_Moore

Answer by Alysia_Moore at 5:06 PM on Jul. 24, 2009

• Welfare cases for wearing hand-me-downs? Then I guess my brothers and I were, my son, youngest nephew, etc. If our kids outgrow clothes then we pass them down to the next grandbaby that can wear them. What stuck up baboon's ass told you that because your kids wore hand me downs that it makes the kids a welfare case?

I don't consider handing clothes down a welfare issue. I consider that being kind to another mother who has a child that can use them especially when there isn't anything wrong with them.

Some people need to get a freakin hobby.
    lilbit022009

Answer by lilbit022009 at 5:08 PM on Jul. 24, 2009

• Well, If you can believe it, they said it anon.! lol. An A$$ and a pansy!!
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 5:12 PM on Jul. 24, 2009

• Just ignore others There are a lot of mean people on this site.
    oliviahank

Answer by oliviahank at 5:13 PM on Jul. 24, 2009

• I don't care they can say what they want. I know my kids clothes are clean with out holes and they fit. good enough for me! I just think it's funny that this person is so stuck up I'm not sure they'll ever get back down! hope it doesn't rain!!
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 5:14 PM on Jul. 24, 2009

• My son other then when he was first born has worn hand-me-downs. I have even sent his clothes that he out grew to HI. Boy did that cost alot. However, it was cool to see a picture of my friends son in my son's old stuff.
    robinsi2000

Answer by robinsi2000 at 5:15 PM on Jul. 24, 2009

• WTH, my youngest wore his brothers clothes when they were too small for big brother. Then when my youngest out grew them they went to friends. And my oldest got clothes from others the same way. I mean all of the clothing was in great shape, why the hell not pass them on. That's such a waste if you don't
    pnwmom

Answer by pnwmom at 5:20 PM on Jul. 24, 2009

• Personally, I believe nothing in the world to be wrong with hand me downs or thrift store finds for that matter. My thinking is this, if they are in good shape they are really no different than new clothing that has been worn once and washed. Both are still used clothing after the first washing. Why waste perfectly good clothing? In fact, clothing happens to be one of my very favorite recycle items. ; ) I would never call anyone's children welfare children for wearing hand me downs. The nerve of some rude folks! You don't listen to em Mamma....just think of the $ that you are saving and all of the other things that you can do for and with your children with that $. Let the haters hate somewhere else.
    Anonymous