Is this normal?

My son is only 19.1 lbs and is 11 months old and he was born 9 lbs so therefore he has only gained 10 lbs since he was born. What makes this worse is that when he was 4 months he weighted 16.8lbs and therefore he only gained less then 3 lbs in 6 months. I DO FEED MT DS and he seems to eat all the time but I am a little concerned that something may be wrong. I dont know what to do.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 5:30 PM on Jul. 24, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• What does your pediatrician think? He's been going to all his well baby visits right? So the dr has seen him at 2, 4, 6, 8 and soon the 12 month visit and if the dr hasn't voiced a concern I think you are fine.
    silvia316

Answer by silvia316 at 5:40 PM on Jul. 24, 2009

• Is your Doc concerned??? cause they should be able to tell you if it's normal... my DS is 24lbs and 18mos... he only gained 3oz in the last 3 months... he grew 3.5 inches... kids do strange things... talk to your ped about it and if they arent worried about it... then you are ok
    mamachef694

Answer by mamachef694 at 5:40 PM on Jul. 24, 2009

• My ped is alittle concern but just told me she will tell me more at his 12 month visit. I just wanted to see if this was normal or not I know all kids are different but he is almost 30 inches long too. So the weight was gained caise he got so long. I will just have to wait till his next appoitment it is in Aug.
    Anonymous

• 19lbs is not bad for 11 months... it sounds like maybe he just packed on the lbs early on and then slowed down. Once they become active (typically after 6 months) their gain slows because they are burning more calories.
    LeanneC

Answer by LeanneC at 6:07 PM on Jul. 24, 2009

• My daughter just went 2 pediatrician today & she's 4 months & weighs 15.9, & she's doing fine in weight. I would think if they were worried they'd tell you so. If you don't trust your pediatrician, you should trust your gut & find a better one. Good luck.
    luvmyangels3

Answer by luvmyangels3 at 6:09 PM on Jul. 24, 2009

• luvmyangels is right. I think the weight may be a lil ont he smaller side but if your baby were dropping weight at a dangerous level the doc would have told you something else to do then. As long as everything else checked out I wouldnt worry too overly. Also, as she said if you dont trust your peds advice, look into a new one. A mom knows her baby and if it feels wrong to you, get it checked out. gl.
    Bearsjen

Answer by Bearsjen at 6:38 PM on Jul. 24, 2009

• My daughter was 7 lbs at birth. 2 months she was 10 lbs. 4 months she was 14 lbs. 6 months she was 15 lbs. From 4 to 6 months she only gained a lb. The dr. had no problem with it because she was healthy and thriving. She is 11 months now and weighs right at 20 lbs. All babies gain weight at different rates. As long as your baby is healthy and isn't loosing wight you don't have anything to worry about.
    Anonymous

• just means he has a good matabulism,he burns his calories fast.he will be fine
    angelairelan

Answer by angelairelan at 8:37 PM on Jul. 24, 2009

• How active is he? Babies tend to slow down in weight gain once they start moving more. They burn more calories trying to crawl, cruise, walk, etc. My baby didn't gain anything for six months also. That was the time when he started all those things.
    aehanrahan

Answer by aehanrahan at 3:12 PM on Jul. 25, 2009