Custody issues for grandaughter? Mother trying to take her?

I've raised my grandaughter since she was 2 months old as my daughter left her on her own for 3 and a half hours and because she just couldn't cope.... 2 years on I think of her as my own daughter. Many times her mother came to visit and each time I tried to set something up with her to get her back in touch with her own daughter. Once she even said "mom I don't want her. seriously she f**ks up everything.". Now yesterday my 20 year old daughter turns up at my house and tells me she's taking her back, her boyfriend riding on her arm who looks like he hasn't washed for weeks, well nor had she it seems. What are her rights really? Will I lose my beautiful grandaughter to someone who can't care for her?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 5:32 PM on Jul. 24, 2009 in General Parenting

• i would speak to a custody lawyer bout it have u had custody of her this whole time? if so i doubt it unless she can prove she is a good ma an can care for her properly
    momatonly16

Answer by momatonly16 at 5:36 PM on Jul. 24, 2009

• You will need a lawyer, and apply at court for permanant custody. If you believe that your daughter cannot take care of her own child then you , should definately do this.
    TakeNoticeNow

Answer by TakeNoticeNow at 5:39 PM on Jul. 24, 2009

• Agreed. Speak with a lawyer ASAP. They will tell you everything that can and cannot happen in this situation. Bless you for looking after the baby.
    Anonymous

• Document EVERYTHING she says to you and any bizarre or irresponsible behavior. Is she involved with DHS? Are you able to adopt the girl? Why does she say she wants her back?
    MommyKKay

Answer by MommyKKay at 6:21 PM on Jul. 24, 2009

• Legally, your DD is correct. She is the mother, and unless you have a signed CO giving you custody of the child, you are not the legal parent.

What you need to do is go to court ASAP and file for emergency custody. Call the Clerk of the Court in your county, and see what you need to do to start filing this pro se, and see what would happen if you get an atty a week or two afterwards. The CC will tell you any fees, what paperwork, and I would also ask if there is a Friend of the Court support group to help people who are going it pro se.

But get to an atty fast. This is one time you want to have one. I only mention doing the TCO pro se so that your DD cannot take the child out of your home right now.
    LiliM

Answer by LiliM at 7:10 PM on Jul. 24, 2009

• Document EVERYTHING she says to you and any bizarre or irresponsible behavior.What you need to do is go to court ASAP and file for emergency custody. Call the Clerk of the Court in your county, and see what you need to do to start filing this pro se, and see what would happen if you get an atty a week or two afterwards. The CC will tell you any fees, what paperwork, and I would also ask if there is a Friend of the Court support group to help people who are going it pro se.
    Babe587

Answer by Babe587 at 7:45 PM on Jul. 24, 2009

• u can try to take her for adbandument...maybe she'll be forced to take parenting classes, clean up, and find a job, and then i would demand visitations so u could keep a eye on her
    rainmommy

Answer by rainmommy at 9:27 PM on Jul. 24, 2009

• You should have got custody in writing and court ordered. Her mother is right, she can take her and there is nothing you can do to stop her. Get an attorney and file for emergency custody ASAP. Document everything, show any proof you can that you have been raising you granddaughter for the last 3 years. You can file for emergency custody without an attorney, you get the papers from teh family court office, fill them out and turn them in. It will be up to you either way to prove she is an unfit mother and from the sounds of it, that will not be hard to do.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 10:44 PM on Jul. 24, 2009