Learning toy for a 2 year old?

My daughter is turning 2 in august! I have no idea what to get her! I've been searching online, but everything is either like what she has, or too young for her, or too old for her. When something says "2 and up" its like a spelling board or something, she can't spell... I want her to be able to use it right away. She has a learning table, a baby vsmile, singing light up bears, vaccums, interactive books... whats left? anything?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 5:51 PM on Jul. 24, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• leap frog or a leapster
    aubrees_mommie

Answer by aubrees_mommie at 6:01 PM on Jul. 24, 2009

• If she already has a bunch of electronic stuff, then something different than that would be a good choice. Things without batteries are wonderful! Blocks or building sets are great for developing math skills, and they will grow with her. Wooden puzzles are also really good; my toddlers love to do puzzles. My twins will also be two in August, and I've decided to buy scooters for them (they alreay have blocks, books, puzzles, and electronic learning toys).
    TweenAndTwinMom

Answer by TweenAndTwinMom at 6:07 PM on Jul. 24, 2009

• Well, her sisters used to have wooden blocks, and they did love them! and puzzles is a good idea too, she doesn't have those either! But she has a tricycle and a motorcycle, lol. My parents like to buy the kids those things. Thanks for the ideas! i'm going to look into the blocks! I know they're not expensive, so we'd still have enough to buy her another toy along with them! thanks!
    Anonymous

• my son LOVES blocks, cars, legos, basically anything with wheels and can build. he likes puzzles too, it's a great thing cuz he likes me to be interactive with him with the puzzles. lol, this is why i tell parents not to go all out on the first b-day (which i know is hard to do), cuz then you're lost on what to get for the 2nd bday! lol
    armywife43

Answer by armywife43 at 6:24 PM on Jul. 24, 2009

• There are wooden puzzles for her age. Another toy that they like at that age is a ramp thing that they put little wooden cars on the top ramp and they roll down from ramp to ramp and then out onto the floor. I'd have thought that the toy with the looped wires and the colorful beads would be a favorite, but my grandchildren ignore the one I bought. You said you had books, do you have those "That's not my.." books? We have That's not my Monster, that's not my car, that's not my puppy- all very cute for the little one to touch and to repeat the words: That's not my monster, it's ears are too fluffy! LOL!

Answer by Bmat at 6:27 PM on Jul. 24, 2009

• have you looked on melissa and doug website. I love their toys for learning. we have so many great toys by meliisa & Doug
    team21

Answer by team21 at 6:38 PM on Jul. 24, 2009

• Lose all the electronic stuff. She needs toys she can use to develop motor skills such as large lacing beads with laces, blocks, puzzles. Or how about dress up clothes to play make believe and act out her feelings and express her interests? Art supplies are great for small motor development, self expression, creativity, and learning about textures and how different tools and supplies work. Make sure she has lots of tools for exploring outside such as a magnifying glass, a flashlight, a watering can, gardening gloves, and a bug jar (for temporarily observing bugs she catches). There's so much to learn that has absolutely nothing to do with sitting with a battery operated piece of plastic hearing letters and numbers that can be learned in a way that is so much more fun and memorable. My daughter knew all her shapes, colors, letters, and numbers by 2 or 2 1/2 and has never played with electronic toys.
    Senae

Answer by Senae at 6:38 PM on Jul. 24, 2009

• I agree with Senae. I refuse to buy electronic toys for my grandchildren. Their favorite toys when they come here are the simple ones. Tops, that poundy toy where you pound the pegs from one side to the other. One that is a great favorite is a string toy- it is a plastic rope-like thing that stretches- they love just stretching it.

Answer by Bmat at 7:12 PM on Jul. 24, 2009

• Leap frog little leaps. My daughter LOVES it!! It also grows with them. It's dvd that they have a little remote that they interact with. It teaches them colors, ABC's and 123's, and they just LOVE it. Seriously I can't turn it off. They have a bunch of different dvds that you can get with different activites, and lessons. I would definelty get her that... she will be having fun and learning a bunch at the same time!!
    Trishy7

Answer by Trishy7 at 9:51 PM on Jul. 24, 2009

• Check out toys by Melissa and Doug: http://www.melissaanddoug.com/
    They have great toys- kitchen sets, playfood, puzzles- most are wooden and very sturdy.
    6littlestitches

Answer by 6littlestitches at 9:53 AM on Jul. 25, 2009