Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Just got told that my husband of 10 yrs is divorcing me ..has a new girlfriend...I have 3 young sons..I would like to know where to start and how to move on.

Answer Question

Asked by MarcyC at 5:55 PM on Jul. 24, 2009 in Relationships

Level 1 (0 Credits)
Answers (8)
  • =/ sorry...there are groups on here for divorced/ing

    Answer by Anonymous at 5:57 PM on Jul. 24, 2009

  • I am sorry you are going thru this. I would also recommend a divorce group on here, for some support. ((hugs))

    Answer by sunnymom3 at 5:59 PM on Jul. 24, 2009

  • Oh no! I am sorry. See a lawyer first thing. Protect your assets- today or tomorrow move as much money into an account in your own name as you can. A lawyer will advise you what to do.

    Answer by Bmat at 6:00 PM on Jul. 24, 2009

  • No don't steal the money to keep it all for yourself. Just remain calm. If you do take money only take half bc you'll have to give it back anyway if you take more. Make sure you have all the important papers together. Begin an inventory of your assets so you can divide them. You need to hire an attorney. Maybe you know a friend who can recommend a good one. Find the tax returns and keep a copy of them bc they will use that for determing child support. You can google a Child Support Calculator and see how much he has to pay. See if you can find your state statute about Spousal Maintenance to see if you can get more money. It's usually based on length of time married and if you work or can work. I know this is a serious blow to you. I'm sorry for that. Just take it one day at a time and try to stay focus on tasks so it won't be so overwhelming but listen to the ladies who say join a divorce group

    Answer by admckenzie at 6:10 PM on Jul. 24, 2009

  • I would make him take the kids if you cant support them. Dont make it easy for the piss off.

    Answer by MarGeee at 6:16 PM on Jul. 24, 2009

  • The reason I recommend collecting money so you will know that you have some is that he may try to collect it all and then you won't have any- not that the courts won't make him give you some, but I'd sure make absolutely sure that I had money until the courts could step in.

    Answer by Bmat at 6:31 PM on Jul. 24, 2009

  • Make absolutely sure you have some cash readily available to you. If it means going to the ATM right now and withdrawing some. Don't leave the boys with anyone for a few days until you get things settled. Also, don't move out of your house. The courts can construe this as abandonment. I'm no lawyer but have had several friends in this predicament and these were some of the mistakes they made.

    BTW - Get a lawyer as soon as possible.

    Answer by Dyndudes at 8:46 PM on Jul. 24, 2009

  • Thanks Ladies...unfortunetly there is no cash and he owns his own business..grrr..and his name is on the house..not mine. However , I know for a fact that he is several months behind on most of his bills so idk how long he will even be keeping the house.

    He has already had her in the house with her child and I have several neighbors see this happen so the abandonment thing can be countered with adultury.

    I am sure that I have a HARD road ahead..but I am sure that I will be a better person for it in the end...I hope

    Answer by MarcyC at 12:58 PM on Jul. 29, 2009

Join CafeMom now to contribute your answer and become part of our community. It's free and takes just a minute.