How do you make a business selling stuff on Ebay?

I know obviously you buy stuff and sell it for more than you bought it for... but how do you know you have something that you can make a decent profit of off? Are there certain items that are easier to sell?

isamari

Asked by isamari at 6:25 PM on Jul. 24, 2009 in Money & Work

• there is a CafeMom ebay sellers group.

Answer by rkoloms at 8:35 PM on Jul. 24, 2009

• I wouldn't say there are things that are "easier" to sell, and sell better than others. But it's important to sell what you know about and like. Such as those that love old books should sell old books, or one who loves purses and jewelry should sell purses and jewelry. I sell mostly maternity clothes and kids/baby clothes. New and used. I won't sell no name basic stuff as a one piece auction, but save them up to sell a "lot" of pieces. Designer and name brand things I find I will sell by itself.

What I love about selling on eBay is that you can get started by selling things in your home you've outgrown. Then you can use some of the money earned to buy more things, new or used at clearance sales, yard sales or thrift stores. You can take it a step further and find a wholesaler for what you want to sel, but you have to do your research. Many times dozens of sellers already use that wholesaler......cont.
    Mom2Jack04

Answer by Mom2Jack04 at 10:36 AM on Jul. 25, 2009

• I would also NOT use drop shippers....most that you can find online are overpriced, they run out of merchandice AFTER you sell it and dozens if not hundreds of sellers use the same drop shippers OR sell it cheaper than YOUR cost.

Good Luck, feel free to PM me f you have any quesitons. I've been selling for 9 years on eBay!
    Mom2Jack04

Answer by Mom2Jack04 at 10:37 AM on Jul. 25, 2009

• Now is a great time to search for things to sell at rummage sales! Start with things that are easy to ship and add an extra dollar or two to the shipping. (Old Magazines and Comics are a good start)

Try different items and research similar listings. You need to post pictures and don't have to go overboard on the description, but make sure you explain the product well.

Definately price it appropriately to start. It's an auction and will usually sell for more at the last minute.
    tcarter1981

Answer by tcarter1981 at 4:19 PM on Jul. 25, 2009