ok two questions?? (Christians)

The first one is: Is it wrong to go out on a Sunday?? My FIL told me that you are to never go to a store or anywhere but church on Sunday. So I got to thinking well what if you were out of something or you needed baby formula or diapers is it wrong then?
The second one is: Whenever I see my FIL he is very in my face about how God told him to tell me things and it upsets me because I think my relationship with the Lord is just fine and I'm not understanding why he(FIL) does this to me and my husband?? How do I tell him the next time he does this to please stop?? I've even asked the Lord if there is something he wants me to do or know to please show it to me. Has anyone esle gone through this??
Thank you.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 6:33 PM on Jul. 24, 2009 in Religion & Beliefs

• No. If you need something by all means go get it. As for the FIL I don't know. I would've told mine to shut up a long time ago. Stating that my relationship with my god was fine and that if He had a message for me He would tell me directly. But I guess I'm a b*&$h that way. I tend to speak my mind and not sugar coat things to avoid hurting feelings. sounds like you are going to have to be the same way and just tell him to back off. Good Luck.
    2autisticsmom

Answer by 2autisticsmom at 6:39 PM on Jul. 24, 2009

• Your father in law is trying to use God as a way to manipulate you and your husband. He wants to control you two, and this is his stick.
    timelessglass

Answer by timelessglass at 6:43 PM on Jul. 24, 2009

• Is it wrong to go out on a Sunday?? No Sunday is not the day of rest anyways its not the sabbath.. Saturday is the sabbath day and the Lord said DO NO WORK.. So its ok for you to go out just don't do any work if you need more info on the sabbath being Saturday just send me a message i Can give you verses.. :) Ok sweetie your FIL is trying to control you.. GOD IS NOT GOING TO TELL SOMEONE ELES SOMETHING TO TELL YOU UNLESS HE TELLS YOU FIRST.. Ok remember that sweetie... The next time he tells you something you tell him that God has not told you and he would tell you before he told anyone eles. Here is a bible verse that you need to know...1 John 3:7 Little children, let no man deceive you: he that doeth righteousness is righteous, even as he is righteous.... That is what God says about all this... God bless you and ill be praying for your family

hinson7169

Answer by hinson7169 at 6:51 PM on Jul. 24, 2009

• I have questioned the whole sabbath issue. For me there are two issues. First it's an issue of if people didn't shop, eat, whatever on Sunday would they then be free to attend church. Well, yes but would they? In a pluralistic, diverse society there are many faiths who don't worship on Sunday so I doubt I'm having much of an impact. The second is much more personal. Sunday, besides being a day of worship is also suppose to be a day of rest. I like many other people tend to fill my days with lots of activity. So I, like many others don't take the time just to rest, be with my family, be with God in a concentrated way, etc. If God thought having one day to set aside for rest was important enough to make it part of the 10 commandments and to repeat it so often in both testaments of the Bible, then it should be important to me.  So I try to keep Sunday simple, quiet and focused on God and family.

teamquinn

Answer by teamquinn at 7:11 PM on Jul. 24, 2009

• As for FIL.. this is a bit more tricky. Your FIL probably believes he is helping, when he really isn't. He's just being preachy. Unfortunately you may not be able to stop him. Older people can be very stubborn. Also, it is important to respect your elders. There again, God tells us to honor our father and mother, not just in the 10 commandments but in several other places in the old and new testament. I suggest just tuning him out as much as possible.
    teamquinn

Answer by teamquinn at 7:14 PM on Jul. 24, 2009

• No. That's a misconception that a lot of people have. Sunday is NOT the "new Sabbath." Sunday is a chosen day of worship for many Christians. It DOES NOT replace the Sabbath. Those who worship on Sundays (or whatever day of worship they choose) are not replacing the Sabbath; they are choosing not to observe the Sabbath. You are more than welcome to do whatever you'd like on Sunday or whatever day you choose. SOME people choose to mirror the treatment of the Sabbath onto their chosen day of observance because they feel that the instructions for the Sabbath are the best directions of how one can treat their day of worship in a way that would please God best. If you go to the store or unclog your bathroom sink, IMHO, God doesn't care lol.

"One man regards one day above another, another regards every day alike. Let each man be fully convinced in his own mind." Romans 14:5
    NovemberLove

Answer by NovemberLove at 7:15 PM on Jul. 24, 2009

• Like Teamquinn said, your FIL issue is tricky. The second someone says "God [audibly] told me to tell you...." I tune them out. I like to believe that I have a good relationship with God and that he'd tell me himself if I needed to know something as he shows me what I need to know all day, every day, throughout the day. Foremost, DH should talk to him. His family will never take things said by you the same way they will from their own son. Secondly, can DH try telling his dad that his words and behavior cause the two of you to stumble in your relationship with God? Remind him that each person's relationship with God is personal and we each feel moved and directed by him in different ways. Overpowering the two of you with what he feels he receives from God really diminishes and undermines the way you commune with God on your own.

Good luck!
    NovemberLove

Answer by NovemberLove at 7:22 PM on Jul. 24, 2009

• No nothing wrong with going out on Sunday.
    It sounds like your FIL is following religion rituals rather than having an indepth relationship with God.
    The best thing you can ever do is to pray for him, bless him, honor him and love him as Christ would. You can ask him to please stop in a gentle and loving way and explain to him that your walk is different than his. I am reminded of a passage in the bible. Jesus asked Peter to follow him and Peter looked back and saw John and said what about him, Jesus said , what does that matter to you, I asked you to follow me. Your FIL needs to realise he is following God as he is called to and he is not to worry about how you follow the Lord but he is to pray for you and bless you and honor you and love you the way Christ does.
    Remember Grace is merit undeserved and the work on the Cross is finished. Jesus is taking care of you and your FIL ! :-) Blessings!
    Shaneagle777

Answer by Shaneagle777 at 7:27 PM on Jul. 24, 2009

• Sunday thing: Yeah, I think it's generally wrong to go out in a way that makes someone else work (encouraging them to break the sabbath). But there are "Ox in the mire" scenarios that Jesus mentioned being okay. Needing to get medicine for someone who's sick, getting food when you're stuck traveling, things like that. I understand getting formula for the baby, but it would be better to plan ahead and buy it before Sunday.

As far as your FIL. Just thank him for his concern, and still do things your way. You might also try coyly noting that he's had a lot more years practice on his relationship with God, and you'll need to get closer to his years of experience to catch up. (depends on his personality if he would find that charming or not).

Good luck
    Anonymous

• sorry Jesus talked about "Ox in the mire." not medicine and actual specific modern examples that I listed. Just wanted to clarify.
    Anonymous