Do you think companies will...

drop their health insurance since it will be cheaper to go with Obamacare if it passes? And, since it will be illegal for insurance companies to write new policies, do you think people will have no choice but to go with ObamaCare?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 6:41 PM on Jul. 24, 2009 in Politics & Current Events

• Yes to both
    Carpy

Answer by Carpy at 6:47 PM on Jul. 24, 2009

• That's the plan!

Seriously....Tennessee and Massachusetts have recently tried to operate two state-run "free" health insurance programs, and they have failed miserably.

Here is a well written summation of the TennCare program and fallout.

LoriKeet

Answer by LoriKeet at 6:48 PM on Jul. 24, 2009

• No, its just scare tactics.
    SRiveroC

Answer by SRiveroC at 7:47 PM on Jul. 24, 2009

• Will they have any choice???

The financial burden clobbering them from the passage of this will force them to find every way they can to cut costs just so they can stay in business !
    waldorfmom

Answer by waldorfmom at 7:58 PM on Jul. 24, 2009

• river-- From the link you obviously couldn't be bothered with clicking on:

"TennCare was designed to replace Medicaid with managed care and use the promised savings to expand coverage. By 1998, TennCare swelled to cover 1.2 million people. Private business dropped coverage for employees and forced them onto state rolls. By 2002 enrollment had swelled to 1.4 million people and forced Tennessee's Governor to raise taxes and ultimately propose an entirely new state income tax to cover the unforeseen costs. Governor Bredesen was ultimately forced to dramatically restructure a program he has since called "a disaster". By 2006 Bredesen had disenrolled nearly 200,000 people and slashed benefits.

LoriKeet

Answer by LoriKeet at 8:17 PM on Jul. 24, 2009

• TennCare failed because they instituted universal coverage, but failed to control costs. It has nothing to do with UHC being a model that cannot be successful.

The MCO's weren't managing costs or providing adequate care, and because the state blended medicaid and took on 500,000 uninsured (many high risk) in a ONE year period they went BANKRUPT.

Lori, I'm not going to throw my support behind any UHC bill, it has to be adequate, but I'm also not going to settle for millions of people continuing to live without what I feel is a basic human necessity.

SRiveroC

Answer by SRiveroC at 8:40 PM on Jul. 24, 2009

• I think you will see one of two things:  1-Companies will choose to offer a lousy plan with a huge deductible and minimal subsidization knowing their employees won't take it,

OR 2-they will offer a very expensive, extensive plan in which they subsidize as little as possible, making it a GREAT plan for the company bosses, but an unaffordable one for their employees.

Either way, the average employee will be forced to choose a government option (or be fined), freeing the company from paying for medical coverage while still meeting the government requirements.

mancosmomma

Answer by mancosmomma at 8:43 PM on Jul. 24, 2009

• Right now NO ONE is denied basic care....if you have an emergency you go to the ER--with or without insurance.

If you have a chronic or physical disability and are limited in your abilities to work, or you cannot afford private insurance, you get on Medicaid/SSI.

I don't understand where you think American citizens (I DON"T care about illegals) are being denied basic human medical necessities--which last time I checked has never been a government guarantee!
    LoriKeet

Answer by LoriKeet at 8:52 PM on Jul. 24, 2009

• The MCO's weren't managing costs or providing adequate care, and because the state blended medicaid and took on 500,000 uninsured (many high risk) in a ONE year period they went BANKRUPT.

They couldn't control costs because they were attempting to provide "adequate" care!

You can't have it both ways.

Doesn't add up.

There is no bottomless barrel sitting around somewhere. See, that's what Libs  NEVER understand.

You DO run out of other people's money at some point, and they can only allow you to steal just so much.

mustbeGRACE

Answer by mustbeGRACE at 9:18 PM on Jul. 24, 2009

• Thank you LoriKeet! People seem to be under the impression that if you don't have insurance you just have to stay home and die.

I was a single mom without health insurance and still managed to get what i needed for me and my kid.
    Dawn4175

Answer by Dawn4175 at 9:19 PM on Jul. 24, 2009