when you go to a garage sale...

If the clothes are all on tables do u even bother sorting thru them all- or do u perfer the clothes hung up so you can see them better?
Also, do u think 2.50 for a whole outfit is too much?

JnCV

Asked by JnCV at 6:44 PM on Jul. 24, 2009 in Just for Fun

• IMO, you would probably sell more if you were able to hang them up. They are so much easier to go through, plus it wouldn't always be a mess after somebody dug through them. I don't think $2.50 is too much at all! I think you could probably get more than that, but I'm not sure because I don't go to garage sales often.
    theutilitarian

Answer by theutilitarian at 6:46 PM on Jul. 24, 2009

• I'm having a zero to 3T baby sale, all girls clothes, slightly used, some NEW I've spent two hours trying to hang them all up, and just ran out of hangers.
    Its more than 300 outfits. Im going nanners!!!
    JnCV

Answer by JnCV at 6:48 PM on Jul. 24, 2009

• If they are in a jumble on a table, they look more "used up" and dirty, IMHO.

$2.50 for an adult outfit is amazing. For a brand-new baby/child's outfit it's pretty good, too.
    timelessglass

Answer by timelessglass at 6:50 PM on Jul. 24, 2009

• I think you'd be safer sticking to dollar amounts, and yes hang them up, maybe lay the rest out without folding them so people can see them easily. 300 outfits?! Jeez , i'm having a girl so send me some too.
    staciandababy

Answer by staciandababy at 6:50 PM on Jul. 24, 2009

• Maybe you have some friends who would "donate" for the day the extra hangers you need?
    timelessglass

Answer by timelessglass at 6:52 PM on Jul. 24, 2009

• It depends on the shape the clothing is in. When my SIL had a yard sale a few weeks ago, she charged $3.00 per outfit. She made around $250 on just baby clothes. These outfits were in excellent condition and many still had tags on them. If you want to move then you have to ask for a price that you would be willing to pay for at a yard sale. Good luck!
    ronjwake

Answer by ronjwake at 7:06 PM on Jul. 24, 2009

• I have shopped for clothing at garage/yard sales in various ways. For adult clothing, such as nice tops, suits, coats, and dresses, I think when they are hung up it is easier to look at them. Pants, jeans, shorts, t-shirts, sweaters, etc., are just fine to look at when they are folded up on a table.
    I love shopping for baby/infant clothes so I generally look for bargains with those. If I can select and choose then I don't purchase the ones that are stained or worn out. If they are selling a full bag of one gender/one size for one price then I just pay and take it if it is cheap enough.
    At one yard sale a lady had a TON of clothing sorted by size & gender in boxes all up and down her driveway from newborn on up to adult. I spent over an hour looking at every single outfit for my granddaughter and only spent $22 for a LOT of clothes.
    I hate to scootch or bend down - bad back. I prefer tables. :)
    $2.50 is good!
    PrydferthMenyw

Answer by PrydferthMenyw at 7:20 PM on Jul. 24, 2009

• well you could always hang up the new ones and use the hangers for the ones in the best condition. use a table for the more used ones and charge a little more for the new ones and a little less for the old ones. that's what i would do anyway.
    princessbeth79

Answer by princessbeth79 at 9:00 PM on Jul. 24, 2009