Is it normal for a two year old not to be saying anything?

I watch my friends child and he is two ( his birthday was last month, June) He doesn't speak at all! He just makes noises when he wants something. He just makes this sound..."iiii" "iiii" when he wants something to eat or drink. Is this normal? My son is 20 months and he says more things than him. I'm concerned, should I be?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 6:54 PM on Jul. 24, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Yea, at 2 he should be starting to say a few things....like mama or dada....does he not even say those?

If not, then he needs to be refered to early intervention, all she needs to do is tell her pediatrician and he will refer her....good news...most programs are state sponsored and FREE!
    Anonymous

• O.K. there are a lot of things to be considered. First the child you see when you watch him or even when you are with him can be very different than the child at home or with just family. I say this from personal experience. I have twins who have some learning disabilities, at home they talk a lot, at school they barely communicate. Second, if he is communicating this way at home it may just be that he is permitted to do so. If mom and dad don't make him use words but anticipate his every need then why talk?
    teamquinn

Answer by teamquinn at 7:00 PM on Jul. 24, 2009

• yeah they don't encourage him to speak. he just points to what he wants and they give him WHATEVER he wants
    Anonymous

• my son was saying more than i can count at two! but if the parents give him things without using words, then that is prolly a main cause.
    sharisse

Answer by sharisse at 8:47 PM on Jul. 24, 2009

• sometimes boys take longer to talk but he should have a small vocab. by 24 mo. my first son could say maybe 10 words at 24 mo. my younger son is 17 months and can say 25+ words. but they're both normal, so it's hard to say
    princessbeth79

Answer by princessbeth79 at 9:07 PM on Jul. 24, 2009

• Nope, its not normal. My 25 month old has a vocab of less than 10 words. When he was evaluated for speech therapy at 20 months, he had the expressive language skills of an 11 month old.
    mom2ljh

Answer by mom2ljh at 6:45 AM on Jul. 25, 2009

• Depends. At 2yo, my son had a vocab of less than 10 words; then at 24 months he started talking in 3&4 word sentences. It is really common for boys to have a language explosion at 2.5.
    happytexasCM

Answer by happytexasCM at 7:31 AM on Jul. 25, 2009

• It really depends. Most 2yos do have vocabulary skills, but there are other things to consider. If he is not being "made" to talk, then he won't. Maybe he just doesn't talk when you are around. Or he could have some kind of developmental delay. If you are concerned, talk to the childs parents.
    6littlestitches

Answer by 6littlestitches at 8:31 AM on Jul. 25, 2009

• No thats not normal. I personally have th opposite (my son is 2 and half and at a 4.5 yr old vocab) But when i brought him in for his 2 yr checkup his docotor was shocked and told me that at 2 they should be saying approx 20-40 words and 3-4 word sentances as a gudiline... but a few less or more they are right around their age level.. a lot more is advanced and a lot less (10 or so) is casue for concern... it could be numbr of things.. my bffs son has the same problem.. turned out he was partially deaf.. they shaved his eradrums and put tubes in and now hea talks fine.. coudl be a sing of autsim.. could be he is verbally dellayed and needs therapy.. or could be as simple as mom and dad dont interact with him enough.. (not saying thats the case just a possible reason) any way she should bring him to the pedi. and mention this.. the sooner the invetrvene the better
    JrsMommy07

Answer by JrsMommy07 at 8:38 AM on Jul. 25, 2009

• I have a friend with a kid that does that, I think they are 3 or 4. Mom says they are shy and wont admit they need to be checked for developmental delays. Both my kids started talking a lot around 10 months. Every child goes at his/her own pace. But if they aren't saying at least 5 words by the time they are 18 months...then its a problem.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:52 AM on Jul. 25, 2009