Do you think homeschooling should have some regulations?

To at least prove the person home schooling knows what they are teaching and that the students are learning. Like a yearly test or something?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 7:10 PM on Jul. 24, 2009 in

• i think homeschooling should not be allowed period. its such a sad thing to do to your kids. your cheating them out of a childhood of friends and fun experiences. and how do you expect them to function in the real world when they grow up and need to get a job? they never learned how to interact socially with all different kinds of people. its just so sad. what kind of life is that.
    PURPULbutterfly

Answer by PURPULbutterfly at 7:13 PM on Jul. 24, 2009

• I am a teacher and I do think homeschooling should be allowed. For some families it's a great option.

I do think it should be regulated.

When I started teaching I had a student with a chronic head lice problem. The county policy was that students with live bugs were not allowed in class. She spent six months of the school year sitting in the front office. Her mom suddenly pulled her out of school to home school her because the school was humiliating her daughter and no one was going to make her cut her hair. They lived in a tent in a camping ground. I doubt the mother could even read.

MAUREEN55

Answer by MAUREEN55 at 7:19 PM on Jul. 24, 2009

• It DOES have regulations. If they are going to homeschool entirely on their own, a parent must file an "R-4 affidavit" and fulfill the regulations pertaining to it.

Many school districts have homeschooling programs - families meet with a teacher/consultant once or twice a month to receive suggestions and materials, and to turn in the schoolwork done over the past week or two. These children get counted just as if they were warming a desk in a classroom and the school district receives money for them.

There's PLENTY of guidance available about what to teach.

People who homeschool are unlikely to waste their children's time - they don't choose homeschooling because it's EASIER !!! Quite the opposite!

Many homeschooling families follow the guidelines of a homeschooling program they have bought which gives them materials, or they sign up with a non-public-school program and interact with those teachers/consultants.
    waldorfmom

Answer by waldorfmom at 7:23 PM on Jul. 24, 2009

• I had another student who's mom home schooled him after he finished my second grade class. She kept him home for his third grade year and then tried to enroll him fifth grade the following fall. She said she had covered the third and fourth grade curriculum. As evidence, she brought in two of those "everything kids should know in ____ grade" workbooks they sell everywhere. He had scribbled on tons of the pages and the ones did she never graded and were mostly wrong. His testing showed he was performing at a lower level than he was when he left my class a year before. he ended up back in third grade.

Those are just two examples of home school gone terribly wrong. It's also very common for parents to "home school" to avoid CPS. There should be regulations to protect the good home schoolers from bad ones making the whole practice seem inappropriate.

MAUREEN55

Answer by MAUREEN55 at 7:25 PM on Jul. 24, 2009

• waldorfmom, regulations vary greatly state to state. In FL once you turn in your paper work no one ever checks on what's going on.

I also taught adult ed and GED for years. Many of the teenagers enrolled had been home schooled and were unable to pass their GED test.  Most of them admitted their parents never did much of anything. You'd be shocked how many people basically let their middle schooler drop out under the guise of home schooling because they don't like school. It's really unfair to these kids that when they turn 18 they only have a 6th grade education.

MAUREEN55

Answer by MAUREEN55 at 7:29 PM on Jul. 24, 2009

• Folks here who are dubious about homeschooling ARE aware - are you not - that colleges now give preference to homeschooled kids, because they have discovered that these teenagers are better-adjusted and frequently much better-educated than students graduating from public high schools ...

Our kids participated in scouts, drama, farmers' market, fire dept. youth group, swim team, track, little league and football, caring for & riding a friend's horse, bird rescue, music lessons and orchestra (up to the level of playing with a professional San Francisco orchestra), art & calligraphy, karate (to the level of teaching) ... they attended Jr. College classes in German & Italian.

All three got scholarships to college - one got into Annapolis - no small feat! One got perfect scores on her SAT's twice (the first time was a year early; she was just taking it for practice).

They didn't have time to waste sitting in a classroom
    waldorfmom

Answer by waldorfmom at 7:43 PM on Jul. 24, 2009

• I share concerns about irresponsible parents, but homeschooling gets extra criticism because it does not conform. ... Irresponsible parents make their public-schooled children miserable and badly-educated, too - but I don't see proposals about making THEM be more regulated. Perhaps we should have battalions of social workers with checklists who descend upon every household with children once a month.

Don't bring suffering down upon the heads of 99% because of the irresponsibility of a few.
    waldorfmom

Answer by waldorfmom at 7:49 PM on Jul. 24, 2009

• waldorf mom, I'm glad your kids are so well adjusted. As I said I think there should be regulations to protect the majority of home schoolers, who like you, do a good job. People like the ones I mentioned above take advantage of homeschooling and do damage to their children. Those kids never even get diplomas much less apply to colleges. They don't represent all or most of the parents who home school, but they do exist and those kids need someone to speak for them.

And, no, my students time isn't wasted in my classroom.

MAUREEN55

Answer by MAUREEN55 at 7:53 PM on Jul. 24, 2009

• Why would regulations be suffering? Responsible parents work from a curriculum. Would it really be "suffering" to provide evidence of what you are doing for your kids?

MAUREEN55

Answer by MAUREEN55 at 7:55 PM on Jul. 24, 2009

• Wow. Homeschooling is very regulated in most states; students have to pass annual testing to prove they are performing at or above grade level.

I have a homeschooled graduate. He has a diploma. He functions VERY well with people of ANY age and has a very public customer service job. His customers love him! He recently applied to the Air Force and had to take a test. Public or private school grads are required to get a 31 on the test, homeschoolers are required to pass with a 50 or more, he passed with a 73. I guess he disproves a lot of outsiders' theories about "socialization" & a "lacking education".

I'm currently homeschooling 3 tweens. They can concentrate on their lessons and NOT have to deal with bullies, peer pressure, molestation (yes, it happened in our local school), or being ridiculed for being ahead or behind their peers. They are very active in youth clubs & community activities. Hardly a poor life.
    michiganmom116

Answer by michiganmom116 at 8:27 PM on Jul. 24, 2009