When are you supposed to stop sleeping on your back?

This is my second pregnancy, but I just cannot remember! What sucks, on my back is the most comfortable. Guess it is time to break out my pregnancy pillow...

hillmom

Asked by hillmom at 7:21 PM on Jul. 24, 2009 in Pregnancy

• I was told between 16-20weeks to stop sleeping on my back. Tomorrow I will be 26weeks & I still wake up from time to time on my back, but that's my body's way of saying it's time to change positions. The reason you aren't suppose to is because there is a major vein/artery (i forget which it is) that can be squished by the pressure of your expanding uterus which causes less blood flow to get through your body & to the baby. Your body will tell you when it's time to move...whether it's through back pain, dizziness, or if it gets hard to breath. Don't fight your body's warnings though, thats what something can go wrong.
    WannabeMommy87

Answer by WannabeMommy87 at 8:08 PM on Jul. 24, 2009

• I think you aren't supposed to really sleep on your back at all during pregnancy but I'm sure it's after the first trimester your not anymore for sure.
    Bamzakarat

Answer by Bamzakarat at 7:23 PM on Jul. 24, 2009

• i think at about 4 months? im not sure. but speaking of pregnancy pillows, are you talking about those body pillows? i used to have one, and i need another, but walmart does not sell them anymore(where i live) and they got these new round long pillows now, ugh..
    Anonymous

• reeally im in 3rd trimester an still do sometimes y arent u supposed to?
    momatonly16

Answer by momatonly16 at 7:24 PM on Jul. 24, 2009

• i still sleep on my back from time to time, but i think i will stop when it gets uncomfy. i am pretty sure your not supposed to at all durring pregnancy.. i just think at about 4 months you should stop..
    Jmain8

Answer by Jmain8 at 7:25 PM on Jul. 24, 2009

• You aren't supposed to later in the pregnancy because the baby puts pressure on your nerves and spine.
    Bamzakarat

Answer by Bamzakarat at 7:26 PM on Jul. 24, 2009

• I stopped when i could not breathe anymore
    stephania01

Answer by stephania01 at 7:27 PM on Jul. 24, 2009

• o gotcha thanks
    momatonly16

Answer by momatonly16 at 7:28 PM on Jul. 24, 2009

• I don't use a body pillow. It is made for pregnancy (bought it new on eBay). It is curved so it goes under my belly, between my legs (great for my hips) the along my back so I have more support when side sleeping. I just LOVE it. I only wish it didn't keep me form cuddling with my hubby!
    hillmom

Answer by hillmom at 7:32 PM on Jul. 24, 2009

• its a no, no cause there is a vein that lets blood flow from ur legs to ur heart that u could damage or let the blood flow stop
    Anonymous