2 and 1/2 months. Is it ok to mix baby juice w/ formula?

2 and 1/2 months old. We give her diluted juice because shes having problems with constipation. The juice is too thin and she chokes on it, even with a slow flow nipple. Is it ok to mix a tea spoon of formula just to thicken it up?

stenhouse_baby

Asked by stenhouse_baby at 7:24 PM on Jul. 24, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Wow anon :56...you need to dust that chip off your shoulder. No formula doesn't constipate EVERY SINGLE baby, but it's more likely to do so than anything else. It's a fact, sorry.

Ummm...so how is adding formula going to thicken the juice up? When mixed properly, isn't formula the same consistency as any other liquid? Especially if you're only adding a teaspoon.

My advice is to contact your child's pedi to see what they recommend to relieve your baby's constipation. You really don't want to do anything that might possibly make her more uncomfortable. GL mama, I hope your little girl is better soon.
    milfalicious08

Answer by milfalicious08 at 12:08 AM on Jul. 25, 2009

• I would ask your pediatrician. There may be something to give her other than juice also.
    Anonymous

• No. It's NOT ok. And I don't care about the people that come here and say, "I put juice in my sons formula at 3 days old, and he's just fine"...because it's wrong.

You should NOT introduce juice before 4 months of age--MINIMUM.

Chances are she's constipated BECAUSE of the formula. I would look into the way you are mixing the formula, or the type of formula.

Good luck!
    Ooftacat

Answer by Ooftacat at 8:13 PM on Jul. 24, 2009

• NO juice doesn't solve the problem it creates others...juice is considered a solid...or something other than BM or formula...no "solids" til atleast 4 months with a FF baby. Your baby can't digest those sugars so not only is there tummy ache from the formula constipating but also tummy ache from the sugars..

tabi_cat1023

Answer by tabi_cat1023 at 8:22 PM on Jul. 24, 2009

• Never heard of giving baby juice so young. ask your doctor to be sure
    Mutti411

Answer by Mutti411 at 8:29 PM on Jul. 24, 2009

• Just hold her a bit more upright, so the juice doesn't flow so quickly to her throat.
    TiccledBlue

Answer by TiccledBlue at 8:52 PM on Jul. 24, 2009

• i would try a different formula. my son was so constipated on soy i had to switch to a different kind.
    princessbeth79

Answer by princessbeth79 at 9:22 PM on Jul. 24, 2009

• Most doctors will tell you whether it's ok to put juice in if it's appropriate to the situation. I would put formula in with the juice to make it thicker. What are you supposed to do? Let her choke? It's better than giving medicine at such a young age.

And Ooftacat:
    Formula doesn't necessarily make babies constipated. But let me guess, you were a breast feeder and think you're a better mom right?
    Anonymous