For bottle feeding toddlers: At what age did your child SELF-WEAN?

I know that some breast-feeding mothers did "child-led weaning" that lasted until ages 2, 3, or longer. If you bottle fed, AND you let your child have it "until they threw it out the window, in the trash, refused to take it anymore..." how old was the child? Please no bashing. If YOU took your child off at 9, 12 or 18 months, that doesn't answer my question. PS-Ours has never taken a pacifier or sucked any fingers including his thumb, only the bottle. No dental problems, perfect teeth. Just wondering who let them self-wean. After 2? After 2-1/2? longer?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 7:25 PM on Jul. 24, 2009 in General Parenting

• I'm trying to self ween my DD now. She is 18 months now and she only gets the bottle with water only wehn she is going to bed. So I'm still working at it. Lol. I hope it happens kind of sooner rather than later though.
    Bamzakarat

Answer by Bamzakarat at 7:29 PM on Jul. 24, 2009

• 13 months
    simonsmomma

Answer by simonsmomma at 7:34 PM on Jul. 24, 2009

• im a "bad" mom, my 26 month ols still has a" baba", i dont care if you bash.
    jbirchard

Answer by jbirchard at 7:34 PM on Jul. 24, 2009

• OK, self-weaning...means that the child stopped, not that it was taken away. We know that they can't have what is not there, but have you had a child, over 2, that has stopped taking the bottle themselves? Do you offer milk in the cup during the day and cup/bottle at night? Again, no pacifier, so no back-up plan.

Thank you jbirchard, I am not alone!
    Anonymous

• I'm not going to let my DD self wean from BFing if it continues past 3...I'll wean her. If it was the bottle I'd do the same thing.
    MoonLover06

Answer by MoonLover06 at 8:05 PM on Jul. 24, 2009

• I could only breast feed for 5 months, and he was on the bottle the same time because I went to school.
    On his first birthday, I threw the bottle away. Before this, I would give him milk in the sippy cup.
    He didn't even notice I threw away the bottles.
    Anonymous

• DS didn't self wean...15 months the bottle went in the trash! He does fine with a sippy cup. Now he's more into the straw cups, but thoses f'n things leak like a *itch!
    jlstewart922

Answer by jlstewart922 at 8:42 PM on Jul. 24, 2009

• oh he still had a pacifier tho, but only at night. i can hear him toss it at the door within 2 mins. but still wont settle down without is!

jlstewart922

Answer by jlstewart922 at 8:44 PM on Jul. 24, 2009

• i don't remember weaning my kids from the bottle. i'm guessing they were 2- maybe closer to 3. I did offer them sippy cups and those little cups with built in straws.The bottles probably gradually got lost and replaced with new cups.
    ranedare

Answer by ranedare at 8:58 PM on Jul. 24, 2009

• My daughter is 13 months old, and I am not taking away her bottles until she is ready. To her, a bottle of milk=sitting on mommy's lap and cuddling. So when I try to replace the bottle with a sippy, she looks at me as if to say, "WTF???". She will only drink water out of her sippy cups, and that's ok for now. There's no hurry, and no pressure from me.

Feel free to bash away!!! I couldn't care less.
    Fallaya

Answer by Fallaya at 8:58 PM on Jul. 24, 2009