Want a taste of what government health care will be like?

Oregon’s public plan rates medical conditions on the basis of cost-effectiveness, as Obama has admitted this is how his health care plan will operate.

Not that politics will play a part in this or anything, but Oregon ranks tobacco dependence #6 and abortion #41 in priority for taxpayer dollars (out of 680 conditions).

Interesting that things resulting from people’s reckless behavior is considered to be more worthy of taxpayer funds than things like rheumatoid arthritis, emergency appendectomies and people with burns over 10% of their bodies!

http://www.oregon.gov/OHPPR/HSC/docs/4.09.09FinalChanges/Apr09PList.pdf

(Goes to a PDF file)

LoriKeet

Asked by LoriKeet at 7:38 PM on Jul. 24, 2009 in Politics & Current Events

• I spoke of my free care. My husband and I have worked since we were kids. I have paid taxes since I was 16 years old. I could be collecting disability, only a matter of calling an atty but the Gov't is too much in my life now and I'd rather trust God to take care of us. So my tests being paid for by companies donations and individuals does not make me feel like I am getting a free ride. It took a year and a half to even get thru the paperwork. As far as their is no more wealthy people in the country yes there is, its only the wealthy that claim that, and most of them work for the Government! or simply have inherited family wealth. I don't want their money. I just want to live. I am thankful that I'm getting in before the goverenment messes it all up for me.
    treece

Answer by treece at 10:50 AM on Jul. 25, 2009

• Reasonable arguement? Let's hear it those who support UHC...give it a jab...
    tnmomofive

Answer by tnmomofive at 7:44 PM on Jul. 24, 2009

• does anyone see a problem with the government controling your healthcare? do you really think you are going to get the best care??
    JuLiAnSmOmMy317

Answer by JuLiAnSmOmMy317 at 8:07 PM on Jul. 24, 2009

• I am with the Cleveland Clinic as a patient. They are an extension of the Mayo Clinc. Obama is going to Cleveland soon. I will be there next Wed. My care is being paid for by privately funded plan that companies and wealthy people donate to. I am one of those stuck in the middle and lost my insurance because they raised the rates too high for us to afford. Why? Because I was chronically ill and would cost them money. I have gone to Cleveland Clinic for a year and have not had to give them one cent. Now they are paying for very expensive testing for me and I guarantee you if this plan goes through this would not be happening. The Mayo already said Obama's health plan would ultimately keep them from giving those in need free care. I would die along with many others years before I had to. NO UNIVERSAL HEALTH CARE.. Why do you think people who can afford it come here?
    treece

Answer by treece at 8:10 PM on Jul. 24, 2009

• I am an Oregon resident and I can tell it that it isn't rosy here. The Governor just signed the bill raising our taxes. My state income taxes for the coming year will be almost 11% that is up 2%. We will now be tied with Hawaii for the highest rate in the country.

This has got to stop somewhere. Last year 40% of our income went to fed, state and property taxes. Next year it will be more than 50% and they want me to CREATE JOBS! Ha!

The state healthcare is in the crapper. Part of the problem is that we are overrun with illegals. Another part is that the feds cut the states arms and legs off when they killed our timber industry. Our local unemployment rate at the end of June was almost 18% and that only counts those collecting unemployment.

UHC won't work because there isn't anybody to pay for it. Those CONSIDERED rich are already tapped out.
    yourspecialkid

Answer by yourspecialkid at 9:08 PM on Jul. 24, 2009

• yourspecialkid, "in the crapper" is absolutely right!

All this health care and cap and trade business, is just garbage that is meant to break us and destroy us, I think God is fed up with the O people's arrogant deception of His children, I pray that HE is every day!
    agentwanda

Answer by agentwanda at 4:21 AM on Jul. 25, 2009

• Welcome to Socialized Healthcare!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 5:11 AM on Jul. 25, 2009