How did you potty train your child?

Mom2Mylie

Asked by Mom2Mylie at 7:42 PM on Jul. 24, 2009 in General Parenting

• For my son (1st born), he grabbed his pants after he pee'd in them and said "ick"...so I took the cue. My daughter always went in the bathroom with me...she was the cling-on type, so it was really easy.
    EireLass

Answer by EireLass at 8:06 PM on Jul. 24, 2009

• I let my dd run around the house naked for a week. I cleaned up after her, when she'd have accidents, but by the end of the week, she was out of diapers. Took another 2 weeks until she was out of them for naps and another 2 weeks until she was out of them overnight. The overnight thing we did because we were buying diapers for her to use then and she said she didn't want those, she wanted panties and new sheets. She's only had 3 accidents in about 6 months, so that's cool.
    kttycat84

Answer by kttycat84 at 8:50 PM on Jul. 24, 2009

• with a lot of patience and a jar of M&Ms when they went potty they got some candy. if they didn't do anything they didn't get any candy.
    mamak57

Answer by mamak57 at 8:55 PM on Jul. 24, 2009

• Elmo's Potty Time.
    Seriously. We tried Imsy Vimsy trainers (talk about money wasted!), we tried rewards, we even tried the "you will sit there until you go" method. Borrowed that stupid DVD from a friend and he loved it, asked for it constantly - like 6 or 7 times in a row, and was trained in 3 days.
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 9:22 PM on Jul. 24, 2009

• After the children began showing an interest in going "potty" we pulled out the potty chair. We let them get used to it first by having it in the bathroom and letting them just sit on it. Then later I asked if anyone needed to go potty. Anyone that made a pee in the potty got a mini m&m.

My son was reluctant to go #2 on the potty, so for him, a #2 got him 2 mini m&ms.

It went pretty easy for us, but we also go a "late" start compared to some people. I didn't force my children to potty train on their 2nd birthday, I waited until they showed signs of being ready.
    Anonymous

• I've only just started, but she's been out of diapers three days and has only had one accident... and it was because I couldn't get her to the potty in time when she asked to go.

Basically she started showing signs of readiness a few months ago, by "hiding" to poo, and asking to be changed immediately after being wet, so I started sticking her on the potty randomly and when she'd make it in the potty it would be all kinds of applause.

For the past three days I've left her naked... she doesn't like the FEELING of being wet, and she can't feel being wet in a diaper... if I put one on her she WILL use it. So she's just going to the potty or asking everytime she needs to.
    catwalksymphony

Answer by catwalksymphony at 10:41 PM on Jul. 24, 2009