How much older...?

ok...my son is 11 and his now girlfriend is 13. i had a huge problem with this for a while, but of course his dad being a dad said "oh it's fine. she'll just break his heart and he'll learn from it". does anyone else think she is too old for him??? they have been gf/bf for a week now and "sooo in love". he's only 11, he know not of this word love! as i'm sure she doesn't either. uugghhh...what is a mom to do????

s.mitchem

Asked by s.mitchem at 7:47 PM on Jul. 24, 2009 in Tweens (9-12)

• 11 is too young to even have a girl friend.
    teamquinn

Answer by teamquinn at 7:48 PM on Jul. 24, 2009

• Wait it out.
    Cherrie522

Answer by Cherrie522 at 7:48 PM on Jul. 24, 2009

• I think both ages are too young to be in any relationship.
    EireLass

Answer by EireLass at 8:07 PM on Jul. 24, 2009

• definitely Way to young for him and for her to date down in age at her age. If u don't want to stop their love then stop them from being alone - only in school or your house. No dating in my house til in hs and my kids are teens through mid twenties.
    Anonymous

• My son is 11 and I couldn't picture it at all....at least if they were both the same age, it would be reassuring, but at that age two years is a long time. I would hate to see him grow up too fast.
    BJoan

Answer by BJoan at 9:28 AM on Jul. 25, 2009

• When you let your child start dating too early, he will find himself in a sexual situation that he will not have the maturity to handle. Please put a stop to this now.

Answer by rkoloms at 10:01 AM on Jul. 25, 2009

• I think we misunderstand when young tweens say they have a bf/gf. My son had a "girlfriend" in kindergarten through third grade. It was the same girl. They sat on the bus together and were in the same class/school. They never went on a real date. They never played outside of school and they were never alone. They never kissed. They never touched. We have since moved 1700 miles away and my son still refers to her as his "girlfriend." This may just be a situation where the two have a crush on each other. Are they every alone together or do they just all hang out with a group of friends. I agree 11/13 is far too young to actually go on a real date, but simply referring to each other as girlfriend and boyfriend is harmless. With that said, they should never be left alone. Hormones are racing at that age and anything can happen.
    CoolGirlChris

Answer by CoolGirlChris at 11:39 PM on Jul. 25, 2009

• I bet they are friends. They have great chemistry and are really not sure what to think about it. So they are at that tween age, they just call it girlfriend and boyfriend and do what older kids do. I like the answer wait it out and I also like the answer dont leave them alone together. I had a boyfriend when I was 12 and he was 11 and we were really good friends. We were together for 5 months which for kids is a LONG time. I still have a special place in my heart for him. We just flirted and kissed. Its bad I know, but I have fond memories of him. He moved away.
    Hollytree

Answer by Hollytree at 2:16 AM on Jul. 26, 2009

• And my parents probabley should have put a stop to it because we were too immature to handle a sexual situation, but that didnt happen. So maybe if you were a "good parent" you would put a stop to it. I dont know . I still would go with wait it out, hold your breath then breath and dont let them be alone together. But I wouldnt break up a friendship, or a learning experience.
    Hollytree

Answer by Hollytree at 2:20 AM on Jul. 26, 2009

• has school started where u live? if not just wait it out till then it will be over just as soon as she walks thru the middle school doors, just be there to pick up his lil heart when she breaks it ....cause it's coming ~ sry
    tntornado45

Answer by tntornado45 at 7:43 AM on Jul. 27, 2009