should I supplement with formula in order for my baby to gain more weight?

Mutti411

Asked by Mutti411 at 8:15 PM on Jul. 24, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• if you don't have enough milk, then I would give him formula
    looovemybabies

Answer by looovemybabies at 8:17 PM on Jul. 24, 2009

• well Breastmilk has more calories than formula ounce per ounce...and even more calories than any solids too. If youa re worried about weight because of dropping percentiles or only seeing 4-6 oz weight gain a week...yeah everythings most likely ok. Usually the best way to get a BF baby to gain weight is to nurse more, give solids or other liquids less, and sometimes it takes block feeding, meaning nursing on ONE breast for 2-3 feedings, no switching breasts because they are getting too much foremilk..the lower fat milk and not enough hindmilk the fatty stuff.
    Why are you worried about weight? The answer to that is what determines whether supplimenting is needed....how many diapers a day is your baby having and how old?
    tabi_cat1023

Answer by tabi_cat1023 at 8:19 PM on Jul. 24, 2009

• Why are you worried about his weight?
    Nathskitten

Answer by Nathskitten at 8:19 PM on Jul. 24, 2009

• btw not having enough milk can only be determined really by diaper output, what goes in must come out.....and theres tons of ways to raise supply without having to suppliment because of "not having enough milk"
    tabi_cat1023

Answer by tabi_cat1023 at 8:21 PM on Jul. 24, 2009

• My son is 6 months and is 14 pounds. I feed him solids. But he should be about 2 pounds heavier. thats why i was wondering if I should supplement
    Mutti411

Answer by Mutti411 at 8:26 PM on Jul. 24, 2009

• TRY ADDING INFANT CEREAL TO HIS BREASTMILK,ONCE U START SUPLEMENTING UR SUPPLY WILL DECREASE FOR SURE,MOST WOMEN WHO DO THAT END UP QUITING (BF) ALL TOGETHERWIEGHT SHOULD NOT MATTER AS LONG AS THEY ARE EATING AND HAVING THE RIGHT BOWLE MOVEMENTS.
    angelairelan

Answer by angelairelan at 8:32 PM on Jul. 24, 2009

• Why do you think he should be heavier. He seems just fine to me. My youngest was small and the doctor and I agreed he was fine. The percentiles for size are based on formula fed babies, who tend to be bigger. I wouldn't worry.
    Look at his little body, does he have chubby legs with little fat rolls? Does he have a nice round belly? With my LO he was short and thin, but still had chubby little legs.
    I wouldn't worry as long as he keeps growing.
    Nathskitten

Answer by Nathskitten at 8:33 PM on Jul. 24, 2009

• Thank you girls. He is growing actually. But he didn't double his birth weight. he was born 7 pounds 15 ounces.

I do feed him solids and I keep breastfeeding him 5 times a day. I want to continue
    breastfeeding If I can for another 6 months.
    Mutti411

Answer by Mutti411 at 8:38 PM on Jul. 24, 2009

• How much solids do you give? At 6 months not much should be given AND baby should ALWAYS nurse before every bit of solids.

Avacado is a GREAT solid to give that is high in calories and great brain fat...mush it up add a bit of BM to it and serve a few tablespoons..yeah thats a full serving of solids
    tabi_cat1023

Answer by tabi_cat1023 at 8:40 PM on Jul. 24, 2009

• Also everybody around me seems to be formula feeding. I have the impression that people don 't like the idea of breastfeeding.
    Mutti411

Answer by Mutti411 at 8:41 PM on Jul. 24, 2009