how do i get my son to stop bitting kids in his pre-preschool class (daycare) and to stop bitting me

hes in daycare 8 hours mon-fri at la petitie

elias1mamma22

Asked by elias1mamma22 at 8:16 PM on Jul. 24, 2009 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• when he bites you bite him back that way he knows how it feels, don't bite him to hard just hard enough to get the point across
    looovemybabies

Answer by looovemybabies at 8:19 PM on Jul. 24, 2009

• I think that would depend on what is causing him to bite? Is he biting in anger or is it sensory based? If it's sensory bases you can try giving him a small chew toy to bite on instead.
    Martina70

Answer by Martina70 at 8:20 PM on Jul. 24, 2009

• i think he think hes playing because he laughs. i sat down with him on his level telling him we dont bite his buddies at school or me. it hurts mommy and his friends.
    elias1mamma22

Answer by elias1mamma22 at 9:31 PM on Jul. 24, 2009

• When my dd did that, I bit her everytime she bit someone. She stopped biting really quick!
    Anonymous

• Soap in the mouth? My mom did that when we were kids, but I don't know if that is considered "abusive" now.
    jmpeskie

Answer by jmpeskie at 10:28 PM on Jul. 24, 2009

• Soap is poisonous, if you must use something bitter to discourage it, try vinegar.
    Martina70

Answer by Martina70 at 12:36 AM on Jul. 25, 2009

• There does need to be some type of consequence for this behavior, but you have to look at when and why he is doing this. Did it just start? You said he appears to bite others during daycare. Ask the teacher when it is happening, at what time or during what activities throughout the day.

Unfortunately, daycare settings are typically not very structured. The children have been there for long periods of time, typically they have been dropped off very early and stay for far to long. The get tired and frustrated.

The teachers know that he is going through a biting phase, so they need to watch him closely and try to prevent the biting behavior. If they recognize the times that he is more likely to bite, they can be watching. Also, if he is doing it because he gets a big response from people then their response could be reinforcing him and he will bite more. When he bites try placing him away from the family (cont
    LovetoTeach247

Answer by LovetoTeach247 at 5:51 AM on Jul. 25, 2009

• (cont) or the kids at school in a timeout place. Do not talk continually about the biting and how bad it is as you place him in time out. Just say, "Johnny, this is timeout for biting Sally." and have him sit. Do not give him any attention or talk to him while he sits in timeout. If he trys to get up and leave then calmly and quietly take him back to the chair.
    During the day, have the teachers make sure he stays busy and monitor him closely. Try to talk about being good friends and nice touches. You may message me if you want further info.
    LovetoTeach247

Answer by LovetoTeach247 at 6:01 AM on Jul. 25, 2009

• i would sya bite back , but some kids then think its ok to bite. With my son when he started hitting, we would spank but he just did it more.. so we learned then that time outs worked better. I have never dealt with the biting. But my brother did , and the only thing that worked for him was biting back. sounds mean but they need to learn
    Jessy103

Answer by Jessy103 at 10:49 AM on Jul. 25, 2009

• also positive reassurance reward him and let him know how good he is for not biting.. if he went a day without biting just really let him know how proud you are and how awesome he did
    Jessy103

Answer by Jessy103 at 10:50 AM on Jul. 25, 2009