If Obama's plan passes, and you have a baby boy who's testicles have not descended yet....

will they be able to do the surgery? Or will it be counted as elective, since it's not life threatening?

Undescended testicles is not life threatening HOWEVER they will be infertile most likely if the surgery is not done, preferably as a baby.

Just curious!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 8:35 PM on Jul. 24, 2009 in Politics & Current Events

• Hmmm.... good question, probably not since it is an elective surgery.

However, it will allow for a child who needs a life threatening surgery to get it.

If you were the mom of a child who was about to die, you would probably be pissed if a baby had a surgery just because they would be infertile.
    Anonymous

• good point anonymous. When elective surgeries are needed there are always options. Childrens miracle network loans and more. Most hospitals offer payment plans of some kind expecting the government to pay for EVERYTHING is a little ridiculous
    katiekruschke

Answer by katiekruschke at 8:38 PM on Jul. 24, 2009

• I don't know but it'd probably be good it if he didn't have kids, so they wouldn't have to go through the life we'd be living on poor healthcare........
    Anonymous

• Well, IF ObamaCare were to pass (and I hope it won't), the plan wouldn't take effect for another 3 1/2 years--I should hope you would have addressed this condition with your pediatrician before then!
    LoriKeet

Answer by LoriKeet at 8:41 PM on Jul. 24, 2009

• I was meaning if the baby born after the plan was in effect :) Thanks for responding though :)
    Anonymous

• No, but eliminating the competition by creating a UHC which gives employers no incentive to carry and offer private insurance of their own which then forces everyone into mediocre, crap, government insurance....and THAT'S rediculous. I don't want to be placed on a waiting list of "well you're at the back of the line because you'll suffer the least damage" and told I can take out a loan to cover health care costs. What a load of crap. Instead of this complete BS, he should be giving incentives to all employers and states to offer insurance coverage at low costs, not giving shitty insurance to everyone that will comprimise our health at BEST.
    Anonymous

• Could you pay out of your pocket for the surgery? Take a loan maybe? Would they let you do that under ObamaCare?
    Anonymous

• Elective usually means, no medical benefit. I know that when dss had an issue with that Tricare felt it wasn't elective. If the case is ObamaCare only counts lifesaving surgery as covered, then you are looking at children with cleft lip/palate, not getting care. Ummm, grr, there are more but my brain is freezing right now, OOOh, my friend's daughter had a huge birthmark that actually covered her eye, right now her insurance covered it because it was necessary, but with your fears, ObamaCare wouldn't carry that either. I wish I could read exactly what Obama's plan is going to be.
    Petie

Answer by Petie at 8:57 PM on Jul. 24, 2009

• So, you are saying that this surgery would be classified as elective and wouldn't be covered under a plan that has not been worked out yet. Too many assumptions, and that surgery does not sound elective under any stretch of the imagination. I think you should quit spreading scare tactics. Also, you could always pay for supplemental insurance, or pay for the surgery out of pocket, just like a lot of people do when their crappy insurance doesn't cover things.
    stacymomof2

Answer by stacymomof2 at 9:02 PM on Jul. 24, 2009

• "Also, you could always pay for supplemental insurance"

Really, we could pay for supplement insurance??????????? That's awe-some! I thought'd we wouldn't be able to. I heard that it would be ILLEGAL for ins companies to add new policies, or that's what I've been reading. Is that not true? Do you have a link that explains we could buy supplemental insurance?
    Anonymous