Bad mood + preschooler = a bad mother

I feel soooooooo bad, but I can't help it. Lately, work sucks really bad. I'm in a terrible mood by the time I pick up my daughter at her daycare. Of course, just like any preschoolers who doesn't nap any more, she's not the holy angel. Therefore, I get easily irritated even with small things, such as forgetting to say please. Oh, I know. How many 4 year old can say please 100% of the time? But see, I'm in a terrible mood. Logically, I know that I should not bring my work to home, but I can't switch myself. Only if I can turn off "work mood" into "mommy mood", who is much much more patient and understanding... Does anyone have any advise on how I can switch my mood? I would like to know things I can do to make it better other than quitting the job. Thanks, and please, no bashing. I already feel bad, and I'm writing here because I want to make it better.

Meachan

Asked by Meachan at 8:35 PM on Jul. 24, 2009 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• Do something fun with your pre-schooler. You have to create enough fun, good times to get you through the bad times. Make up your mind to take a couple hours to completely focus on your child. You can use some of these ideas http://www.cjkidz.com/Summerfun.html.   There is nothing better than seeing your child smile or laugh to get you out of "work mood" into "mommy mood". 

momjs

Answer by momjs at 8:44 PM on Jul. 24, 2009

• yes i agree with the above. you need to turn it off, act silly, tell jokes, make up funny stories. her laughing will bring you out of funk. if your constantly in a bad mood, she will be too. noone is perfect, but we can all be better. remember she has nothing to do with your job, so you shouldnt be angry with her.remember she is spending her days away from you, so do you want the time you spend together to be bad? i know all of this is easier said than done, but you have to try for her sake and yours. good luck. oh and if you have time before you pick her up, maybe take a quick walk to blow off some steam. hang in there i know 4 yr old are very difficult.
    jbirchard

Answer by jbirchard at 9:32 PM on Jul. 24, 2009

• After u pick her up go to the park and have mommy n me time. Go for a popcisle, (SP) have her show you what she did in "school" that day before u wisk her off...Hang in there Mom, I find myself feeling the same way some days!
    rune2319

Answer by rune2319 at 9:48 PM on Jul. 24, 2009

• Well sometimes I just need to take a day away from my kids and from work take them to daycare or school and then call in to work sick or take a personal day. Sometimes taking a break from everything is just what you need. And taking a break doesnt mean you are a bad mom it makes you a better mom, it helps you feel refreshed you just need to do something by yourself and you wont believe how refreshed and ready to tackel the every day problems you feel. Make a regular you day I have to, you are only human and humans come with flaws.
    tired703

Answer by tired703 at 11:28 AM on Jul. 25, 2009