Stay or leave - restaurant ettiquette

We went out tonight - TGIF's, not somewhere fancy - and a kid at the next table puked all over the table and himself. We had just started eating and they didn't have any food yet. One parent ran him off to the bathroom to clean him up, the other started wiping up the table, chair and floor. When the kid got back to the table, the parents had him sit back down (in damp clothes, on what had to be a damp seat) and waited for their food.
Even if he's the kind of kid that throws up when he's excited and isn't really sick - would you stay or would you leave out of respect for all the people who just watched your kid hurl and are terrified he'll do it again?

NotPanicking

Asked by NotPanicking at 8:41 PM on Jul. 24, 2009 in General Parenting

• OH my, I have the KING of pukers! My ODS is four and as long as he has been on this earth, he has puked on any old whim. When he was a baby he (it was the opinion of our peds) would do it for attention. Now, you say anything like DOG POOP and he is retching, it's the most ridiculous thing ever! One time, my husband and I went to Pizza Hut for lunch, thinking that it would be a nice quiet lunch and we could eat quickly and leave. ODS had other plans, he was still in his car seat where he decided for whatever reason that he was going to projectile puke all over EVERYWHERE...believe me I wanted to sink into the carpet, because as soon as he did that, the waitstaff was over HELPING me clean him up...oh my gosh, the embarrassment and YES, we left, thankfully we got to eat before his little magic trick!
    MamaRoberts

Answer by MamaRoberts at 12:10 AM on Jul. 25, 2009

• Totally leave.
    MamaJen74

Answer by MamaJen74 at 8:42 PM on Jul. 24, 2009

• Leave, hey, even if I saw the kid puke I'd probably leave, but I don't like seeing that kind of stuff and would have completely lost any appetite that I had.
    Petie

Answer by Petie at 8:45 PM on Jul. 24, 2009

• Leave.
    kttycat84

Answer by kttycat84 at 8:47 PM on Jul. 24, 2009

• I'd probably leave, but I don't like seeing that kind of stuff and would have completely lost any appetite that I had.

All my food came home in a box. I didn't say anything because hubs and kid had their backs to them and didn't notice. When he asked what was wrong I told him I'd tell him later, and once I did he turned green. If he's seen it, he would've puked right there - picture the pie eating contest from Stand By Me.
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 8:49 PM on Jul. 24, 2009

• Leave. I would of told the manager too. Very germy!!!
    oliviahank

Answer by oliviahank at 8:51 PM on Jul. 24, 2009

• Kids get sick, even in restaurants. As a mother, you should be a bit more sympathetic. Who knows why the kid tossed his cookies. Do you?

I was once in a restaurant with wooden chairs. A mom and her son were seated at a table directly across from me. The kid (probably 3) peed himself AND the chair. The mom, totally embarrassed, took him to the bathroom and cleaned him up. She then returned to the table with her son, and they sontinued with their meal!! I commend her for it. You can't always stop doing what you're doing everytime your child does something that may offend others. Kids often can't help it.

Back to the cookie-tossing kid: maybe he swallowed something wrong...who knows. I'm sure the parents knew, which is why they chose to continue with their meal. In either case, cut them a little slack.
    Anonymous

• i wouldve left
    jbirchard

Answer by jbirchard at 8:54 PM on Jul. 24, 2009

• continued***
    Anonymous

• help clean and order to go
    mamak57

Answer by mamak57 at 9:00 PM on Jul. 24, 2009