Do you think people are diagnosing themselves with stuff (like Aspergers Syndrome or OCD) just to get attention?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 8:55 PM on Jul. 24, 2009 in Politics & Current Events

• I have a daughter with Asperger's and you know, I don't know. I would hate to think that some people do, but I know that some admit to being self diagnosed. I don't believe that, simply because dd was NOT diagnosed by just matching her symptoms to a list but by ALOT of testing, ALOT of observation. I don't think ANYONE is capable of SELF diagnosing for complicated issues like ASD's and OCD. Now, I don't mind if someone says they have obsessive tendencies, but to be diagnosed with a disorder you need much more than just matching to a list. Especially if you are LOOKING for an issue, you are bound to see a little of yourself in any list. Which is why the experts know how to interpret those lists, and know how they manifest in your every day life.
    Petie

Answer by Petie at 9:00 PM on Jul. 24, 2009

• I have a fear of bringing up things to my doctor because I'm scared someone would think I'm faking something (my grandma did, so I want to distance myself from that as much as possible)
    BUT!!!!
    I KNEW I had PUPPP and I went to my doctor and she told me it was just stretch marks. I waited a couple more days and am now covered in a FULL BODY RELENTLESS EVIL FRICKEN RASH and SURE ENOUGH I HAVE PUPPP. I never told my doctor I suspected I had this because I wanted to trust her, but now I feel a little more comfy about trusting MYSELF. I think it's just a balance of trusting your instincts and trusting your doc and not relying on your doc to be right but also not being internet crazy diagnosing yourself with crazy diseases, ha ha.
    gottalovemal

Answer by gottalovemal at 9:08 PM on Jul. 24, 2009

• also... nothing my doc has prescribed to ease the discomfort of this rash has worked, so I'm looking into ALL NATURAL remedies that seem to be making a dent and won't harm myself or the baby.
    gottalovemal

Answer by gottalovemal at 9:09 PM on Jul. 24, 2009

• I have OCD and I can't imaging why people would want to have it. When I hear people say they have OCD because they clean it irritates me. I in fact do have OCD and it effects pretty much everything I do. I've fought it ever since I had my son but it still takes over a lot. I can't even walk across the living room without making my steps match a certain angle in every tile for every step. I can't even fix my kid lunch without counting everything that goes in it so I don't stress about whether or not it had even numbers. If people want to take that and SO much more on and call themselves OCD then they are crazy because I'd do anything to keep myself from doing these things.
    Anonymous

• How are people diagnosing themselves unless they have been seen by drs and tested?
    stacymomof2

Answer by stacymomof2 at 9:12 PM on Jul. 24, 2009

• I see far more people armchair diagnosing other people as Aspies or OCD than I ever see people claiming to have self-diagnosed.They're trendy right now. Everyone is an expert on it, just because their friend's cousin's kid was diagnosed.
    Anonymous

• With the internet being so widely available it is much easier to find medical information. I knew my son has ADHD before he was diaganosed. I refused to take him locally to be tested, so I took him an hour away to a well regarded doctor. His doctor was suprised by the amount of information that I knew on ADHD and done the testing and told me I was right on with what I thought was wrong.
    ronjwake

Answer by ronjwake at 9:29 PM on Jul. 24, 2009

• I know one woman with Asperger's and knew a girl who was OCD. Neither one wanted that and they went through every test possible to rule out the diagnosis of Asperger's or OCD. I can't imagine anyone that would actually WANT to have it. I think the culprit for all this self-diagnosing are those stupid internet screening tests. People take those and then think they have it. Even though the test has a disclaimer saying you should consult your doctor for a real diagnosis.

People used to say the same thing about ADHD. The thing is I don't want to have ADHD. I hate having it. I went through all kinds of test to rule out everything and the only thing they could never rule out no matter how hard they tried was ADHD. I won't take meds though and I have the attention span of a goldfish (about 3 seconds) and what seems like permanent PMS. People said it wasn't real... yeah right.

Anonymous

• Anon why would you not take meds for ADHD? Have you tried them? I know from experience with my 14 year old that the meds can make you a totally different person! I always said I would never put him on meds either, then we tried them and all our lives are better. He went from being a "C" student to an "A" student in a matter of a week!
    ronjwake

Answer by ronjwake at 9:43 PM on Jul. 24, 2009

• Sure OP, we diagnosed our son with an Autism Spectrum disorder for attention. We needed the attention so badly that we have spent thousands and thousands of dollars on treatment for our child. I have spent hundreds of hours in waiting rooms.

It isn't a self-diagnosis type of thing.
    My son has a
    Primary Pediatrician
    Developmental Pediatrician
    Speech Therapist
    Occupational Therapist

He has also been seen by a
    Pyschologist
    Social Worker
    and to save you the trouble of looking it up
    Pediatric Ear & Eye Doctors

Additionally he has a team that includes
    Special Education Coordinator
    Child Specific Parapro

I am sure I am leaving something out, but I am sure you get the picture.

For those of you that think it is just made up....there isn't a name bad enough to call you.
    yourspecialkid

Answer by yourspecialkid at 9:57 PM on Jul. 24, 2009