question about scars for cutters or victims of abuse

I was in an abusive realtionship with this really twisted guy a little over 3 years ago. He beat me regularly and when I was bad and did something he didn't like he would cut me on various places on my body but mostly my forearms. When I got up the courage to risk my life and leave he called the police and told them I had cut myself and that I had told him I was suicidal. That was when I realized why he had cut me the way he did. When I finally got the police to believe me and stop trying to commit me I filed a restraining order and some other charges and it all worked out in the end. The wounds have healed and I am married adn happy now but I fear that the scars speak louder than my words. They do look like I was cutter and I am concerned about what people think when I wear short sleeves. Does anyone know how to get rid of them? It would be nice to not be reminded of that time in my life day in and day out

katiekruschke

Asked by katiekruschke at 8:56 PM on Jul. 24, 2009 in Beauty & Style

• I was a cutter, a long time ago, and luckily all my scars healed by themself. I have one that is still noticable but I used glass to cut that spot. I think they sell lotion to get rid of them.
    Anonymous

• You can't get rid of them. Screw what other people think! Those scars tell the story of what you went through and survived! Be proud of them because they represent the courage that you had. It's hard to stop caring about what other people think, but if you make it a point to not think about it, eventually you won't.
    Mrs.BAT

Answer by Mrs.BAT at 8:59 PM on Jul. 24, 2009

• Honey there's no way to get rid of them unless you have the money for a plastic surgeon to maby skin graff it! I would look at it this way that it is a reminder that that part of your life is over and will never happen again! I am so sorry you had to go through something like that, and you are very STRONG for actually leaving him because most people cant do it! God bless you!

Anonymous

• maybe you could talk to a dermatologist or plastic surgeon to see if there is any kind of treatment for it. i think the amount and appearance of scars depends on the person's ethnic background and genetics, so everybody heals up differently. they might be able to suggest some procedure to make it less noticable
    princessbeth79

Answer by princessbeth79 at 9:58 PM on Jul. 24, 2009

• if it's a deep enough scar you just may be stuck with it forever... i used to be addicted to cutting.. even if i wasn't feeling down.. (it was pretty bad).. but mine hardly show at all unless i've been holding my dd for several minutes in one arm and put her down. certain areas, depending on whether it was a "common" spot or deep will show. others generally fade away... over lots of time. and moisturizing.

i personally like that.. olay "quench" lotion. it really seemed to help with me.

p.s. i'm really glad you got out of that relationship.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:56 AM on Jul. 25, 2009

• I was a terrible cutter and now at 27 I don't own a SINGLE t shirt.
    Sadly in society you need to keep them covered. It could cost your kids potential friendships... Moms will see and think badly of you or worse, assume you still do it.
    Be discreet for the kids sake and if you can afford it, see about skin grafts from a plastic surgeon.
    Tanning does help a LITTLE... depending on the scars.
    Also in an "emergency" situation I have worn like an ace wrap on my bad arm... like at the waterpark.
    hibbingmom

Answer by hibbingmom at 1:53 PM on Jul. 26, 2009

• PS my cutting was the result of being kidnapping and raped by a local cop in 8th grade. There was a whirlwind of media and press coverage and with all the drama I did not receive any counseling or therapy... only grueling weeks of testimony and news channels calling begging my folks for interviews nearly 24 hours a day. I got lost in the shuffle and began to cut to work thru the mess. A few years later I did go visit some derm. and plastics specialists and offered to show my insurance company proof of the crime, etc etc but skin grafts and lasers would be thousands and thousands of dollars. And the over the counter creams do not work, I promise. Save your money and heartache and invest in some lovely sheer blouses for hot days.
    hibbingmom

Answer by hibbingmom at 1:57 PM on Jul. 26, 2009

• I was a cutter and Burner for years and I still struggle with that need to burn or cut everyday, but again my self-harm was due to sexual abuse I suffered as a child and the rape that happened once I got away from my child-hood abuser. ANYWAY to tell you how to get rid of the scars use Cocobutter it helps the scars fade not go away but fade. I have so many on my body that the really bad deep ones do not look so bad and the little flesh cuts are gone. But I used to cut everywhere on my arms, legs, chest just everywhere so this cream works everywhere. So if you use the cream you will notice the scars with go fade in time. Also if you ca lay out in the sun tanning works real well also.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:04 AM on Jul. 27, 2009

• maderma helps scars you can get ot iver the counter,also self tanner helps to even them out and there is makeup for scars birthmarks ect,, its expensive but you can get it at dillards and some other fine department stores and online gosh im trying to think of what its called derma something oh year dermablend
    jendramis

Answer by jendramis at 2:35 AM on Aug. 1, 2009