My 5 yr old has chicken pox nothing is helping his itching... Any good ideas? I also have a 5 month old I'm worried she will get them as well. I have had them before and I'm breast feeding, will that keep her from getting them?

I have my son on Benadryl and tylenol I am also doing an Aveeno Bath skin relief treatment of colloidal oatmeal and none of these seem to be helping...
I am also keeping him as cool as possible.

Shasta_Clark

Asked by Shasta_Clark at 9:02 PM on Jul. 24, 2009 in Health

• I think ur doing just fine...just keep him hydrated, lots of juice, soups, and water
    Anonymous

• Give him an oatmeal bath. This dries the sores up and will help the healing time.
    ronjwake

Answer by ronjwake at 9:16 PM on Jul. 24, 2009

• I remember being covered head to toe in calamine lotion. My mom says its a little messy putting it on because its runny but once it dries it works for hours. She used that on me and my sisters. Plus my great grandma used it on my grandma and her 9 brothers and sisters.
    Crystal1124

Answer by Crystal1124 at 9:23 PM on Jul. 24, 2009

• i had then 5 x as a child i kid u not i was covered in calamine lotion for a entire summer also i hear makeing a baking powder past help releave the itchys...idk about ur lo thoe id call thhe dr and see what they say
    rainmommy

Answer by rainmommy at 9:30 PM on Jul. 24, 2009

• Another vote for calamine lotion. Not sure about the baby. I would call the doctor.
    Christina807

Answer by Christina807 at 10:11 PM on Jul. 24, 2009

• Calamine lotion, lots of luke warm baths or showers. I would call the doc about the baby, you can still be a carrier even though you don't have the poxs.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 10:57 PM on Jul. 24, 2009

• calamine lotion, oatmeal baths, lots of liquids, unlimited TV

Answer by rkoloms at 11:07 PM on Jul. 24, 2009

• Wow, chicken pox in summertime? I thought that was a fall illness. What state are you in?
    You might try tea bag baths. It works for the itchiness of sunburn. Just put tea bags in hot water in the tub and let it cool a bit. Then remove the bags and let the little one play in it.
    SusieD250

Answer by SusieD250 at 12:55 AM on Jul. 25, 2009

• Wow thanks for all the great help. I am in Michigan.
    Shasta_Clark

Answer by Shasta_Clark at 3:22 AM on Jul. 25, 2009