For all

I would like know what had pushed you from:God,Church,Christianity,or all three?I would like to ask you kindly, not to be brutal in you answers because my intent isn't to offend anyone.I feel this is important for all to know.Please describe in great detail,as long as it is in a nice manner.Thank you to all who answer.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:14 PM on Jul. 24, 2009 in Religion & Beliefs

• there is a lot about the bible that has been proven false. I believe more in science, so I can deal with facts not stories that may or may not be true.

The one exoerience that made me despise Christian church was when I finally went back to church after 2 years and the preacher or whatever he was said that all gays are doomed for hell and we need to help them. It was so disgusting I just left and never returned.

I am also very educated in religion and Christianity is that of the newest and the most unproven "facts" so my Religious studies in college pretty much cemented my choice to not care for Christianity other that possible historical stories.

There's much more, like, hypocracy, lies, judgement that I dont agree with so in my opinion if you want to follow christianity go ahead, I wont try and stop you, but its just not for me
    Dom123123

Answer by Dom123123 at 9:24 PM on Jul. 24, 2009

• Well, for me, it was the fact that I had to many questions about the religion that couldn't be answered. I was told to look in the bible and the answer was there. Well, every time I did that, it only gave me more questions then answers. Nothing in the bible matched what my heart (and head) was telling me.
    The tenets of the particular Christian denomination I was in didn't sit well with me either. There were to many specifics about how people had to live and what they had to do for a loving god to have made them.
    So, I searched and found my current religion. And when I found it, my heart rang with truth. And, it makes sense to me. But i want to assure everyone that I stand behind a persons right to believe whatever makes sense to them. Christianity just wasn't it for me.
    -Ashley
    spiritguide_23

Answer by spiritguide_23 at 9:26 PM on Jul. 24, 2009

• truth
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 9:28 PM on Jul. 24, 2009

• I wouldn't say I was pushed away. As a child I was never taught about god, the bible, or anything like that. I went to church a few times with friends, and I knew most of the stories of the bible, Noah's ark for example, but never on a regular basis, and never any formal teachings. So as a child I never believed or disbelieved in god. I just never really thought much about it.
    In school we started learning about some of the ancient civilizations and their creation stories, and the beliefs they had. The other children were laughing at those stupid primitive people, and how silly it was that they believed such absurd things. I realized then that we are no different than those primitive people, except that thru science we have come to understand more about the world around us. And I thought, I wonder what the children sitting at their desks 10,000 years from now, are going to think about us? At that moment I became a nonbeliever
    my2.5boys

Answer by my2.5boys at 9:35 PM on Jul. 24, 2009

• I personally wasn't taught about God. I grew up to make my own decisions. I too like spiritguide was asking many questions, my beliefs fits me and works for me. when I was a child I asked someone that I looked up to who was teaching me."which way was the right way?, who's religion is right? "he told me "if you take every religion that is out there and lay them side by side you will find that a lot of the stories or teachings, even if their not word for word, give you the same out come. the same lesson. that is the truth. The ones that don't match up are just that, just stories." that's how I knew that my way wasn't wrong, and no one will ever change my mind or convince me otherwise.

northcarolinama

Answer by northcarolinama at 9:48 PM on Jul. 24, 2009

• I wasnt pushed away from anything. I still believe in God but also in a Goddess. My view changed and with it the fact that Christianity was the one and only truth to be had.

Learning more about my inner self and the spirituality within me and all that surrounds me allowed me a greater view then previously had. That was another factor.
    Amaranth361

Answer by Amaranth361 at 10:14 PM on Jul. 24, 2009

• I was never pushed or pulled in any direction. I believe in the Norm version of God, but I also believe in Kali, Allah, The wiccan Gods and Goddesses, and what many believe to be "stories" of the Greek Gods and Goddesses, Norse mythology, Native American totems and spirit guides...The list goes on. I have no one set "religion" as it were, but a culmination of many, many beliefs. I condem nor do I condone any one belief.
    rune2319

Answer by rune2319 at 10:28 PM on Jul. 24, 2009

• I wasn't pushed away because I was never involved with a religion to begin with.  

I don't believe in god. I despise the Church and Christianity just isn't for me.

beeky

Answer by beeky at 10:56 PM on Jul. 24, 2009

• I wasn't pushed away either. I simply don't believe in God, so that makes church & Christianity null.

It would be like me asking a Christian what pushed him/her away from Tinkerbell. It's not that anyone/anything "pushed" them away from Tinkerbell --- they simply just don't believe in Tinkerbell.
    Laura1229

Answer by Laura1229 at 11:05 PM on Jul. 24, 2009

• I don't feel I've been 'pushed away' from God, the church, or Christianity. Although I grew up in a nominally Christian household, I just never felt 'connected' to Christianity. It isn't that I don't believe in God, I just don't see God as a personified deity apart from the natural world. Even as a child that didn't resonate with me. I was a pantheist long before I knew the term. In my teens I did a lot of spiritual seeking, including Christianity. I was intrigued by the Dharmic faiths (Hinduism, Jainism, Buddhism) because their view of the divine was much closer to what I had always perceived God to be. Ultimately I practice Buddhism because it is good, plain, common sense to me, it encompasses what I have always believed, and I am a better, happier, more compassionate, more peaceful person with the Dharma than without. Any other respectful questions, feel free to ask me!
    Freela

Answer by Freela at 11:07 PM on Jul. 24, 2009