Why is a Circumsion necissary?

I will do research later, but why does it need to be done. I watched the youtube video after reading the question about it, and was horrified. I told my DH I didnt want our son getting it done, but he said that it needs to be done so can someone tell me why?

Please no rude comments or bashing, just want to know whats right and wrong.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:17 PM on Jul. 24, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• It's not a necessity. It's a matter of choice. There are benefits to both sides. Asking on here is just going to create a lot of drama and just confuse you even more. Do a lot of research on it!

Anonymous

• There are no medical reasons that a circ needs to be done. There are religious reasons for Jewish families as well as cosmetic reasons like a baby "needs" to look like daddy (by the way I don't believe that). Those are the only reasons that I can see for it, but I have been an assistant at them and I find them cruel and unnecessary.
    coala

Answer by coala at 9:20 PM on Jul. 24, 2009

• it's not really necessary (like his penis won't fall off or anything like that), it's just a preference. i would talk to your dr. about it and ask him about the procedure. like i told the lady with the question about the youtube video...... my son used to cry whenever his diaper was open, so you can't assume the baby was crying strictly from pain.... maybe he was pissed that his diaper was open too.
    princessbeth79

Answer by princessbeth79 at 9:20 PM on Jul. 24, 2009

• They aren't necessary.

My son slept through the entire procedure. He didn't seem bothered by it at all afterwards.

Anonymous

• It is a matter of choice but we chose to do it for several reasons both vanity and medical. I could not personally stand the thought of having clean under and around his foreskin. There is also a higher risk of catching infections because as he grows and if he doesn't learn to clean it properly, bacteria gets stuck in there. Do a lot of research and talk to your hubby about it and why it makes you feel uncomfortable. They're not hard to care for after he gets it done to be honest and it may be easier on your son now rather than later should he choose to have it done later in life. Remember this, you will not be there when he gets it done and he will forget about it very quickly.
    innocencexinxme

Answer by innocencexinxme at 9:25 PM on Jul. 24, 2009

• It's not necessary. People do it cuz they think it looks prettier and/or their too lazy to teach their sons proper hygeine.
    Anonymous

• its not necessary, if they are taught at an early age to clean it then there will be no problems. my nephew gott circumsized, the Dr. messed up and ended up having to put 25 stitches in a 2 week old penis. my hubbs isn't, his 8 bros aren't and my 2 boys aren't. they have been taught by their dad how to clean it properly. i am against cosmetic surgery especially on new born babies.
    jbirchard

Answer by jbirchard at 9:44 PM on Jul. 24, 2009

• If you are talking about he YouTube video where they strap the baby down and shove the scapel through his foreskin without pain meds, that is a load of crap! They numb the penis first, and give pain meds for just in case. Yeah, my son cried for a minute in the cold room, but as soon as it was over he stopped crying and was just fine. No problems peeing, no infections, etc. He wasn't even grumpy afterward.

By the way, your baby's foreskin can be donated and used for wound care if you choose to circumsize. They take the foreskin and put it in a petri dish, then it grows cells that actually heal wounds that otherwise aren't healing. They take the cells that have grown from the foreskin and put in on the wound. The body absorbs the cells and heals the wound. It is amazing! I don't think there are any medical reasons to circ, personally we do it for religious reasons (no we are not Jewish).
    mnt_2_b_mommy

Answer by mnt_2_b_mommy at 9:44 PM on Jul. 24, 2009

• SOME places numb the area first. Not all. They didn't my oldest son 26 yrs ago..and it was done in my room. They didn't my grandson 5 yrs ago and it was in the nursry with me standing there begging his mother not to do it. After having it done requires daily attention to make sure the foreskin doesn't readhere to the corona...they didn't bother to tell me this with my first child and he had to have a very painfiul intervetion by a urologist. He screamed every time he urinated for 4 days. I bought into all the garbage about 'looking like Dad' 'It's cleaner" I did not have my youngest son circed. I would never consciously maim another child again. We are the only country in the world who routinely disfigures our sons. The foreskin is there for a reason. It pprotects the sensitivity of the head. It does affect a mans sensation during intercourse later in life. I did the best I could, when I knew better I did better.
    GrnEyedGrandma

Answer by GrnEyedGrandma at 10:03 PM on Jul. 24, 2009

• things have changed a lot in the last 26 years grandma. even in the last 5 years. sorry yours didn't work out, but that's uncommon. we're not the only country that does this routinely by the way! that is just a anti circ myth that people like to throw around.
    Anonymous