My son has had diarrhea for 3 days and not eating.

my son is 11 months old if that makes any difference and lately the last 3 days he has not been eating normal food like cheerios or anything normal food or baby food if he does eat something he chews a few times and spits it out. I have tried everything and he only wants formula. I thought he could be teething but I am not sure. He doesnt show any other signs and he has had really bad diarrhea for the last 3 days too where its so runny and gets all over his clothes.(sorry TMI) but I am wondering if I should wait over the weekend and see if it doesnt get better than take him to the doctor or is it teething?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:25 PM on Jul. 24, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• It would be hard to tell if he wasn't urinating since he's having diarrhea. The diarrhea is probably just covering the urine. If he doesn't show signs of dehydration (no urine for at least 6 hours, no tears, dry mouth, lethargy, sunken fontenelle, etc) then just continue to offer him the pedialyte and popsicles. Sometimes teething will cause a bit of diarrhea but I doubt it's that. Is he drooling excessively? The drool is what causes the diarrhea when they're teething (swallowing the excess drool). I'd just call your peds office for the on call doctor and see what they say, but I wouldn't take him in unless the doctor says too. My son has been sick many many times and we've only had to go in once. (per the doctor).
    mnt_2_b_mommy

Answer by mnt_2_b_mommy at 9:49 PM on Jul. 24, 2009

• How many times a day is he having diarrhea? I myself wouldn't wait to call the dr. My son had the rota virus pretty young, and got dehydrated and we had to take him to the ER. You might want to try and stop the formula, and try to just give him pedialite or something to just keep him hydrated. Or you could try the BRAT diet. I'm not sure tho, if there is a certain age to where its ok to use that. Good luck!
    Tiffany237

Answer by Tiffany237 at 9:32 PM on Jul. 24, 2009

• You need to keep the fluids going so he doesn't get dehydrated. Popsicles, ginger ale and water are good for that.

Call his pediatrician. He or she will give you the best advice!
    LuvBug3

Answer by LuvBug3 at 9:32 PM on Jul. 24, 2009

• --original poster--

ya i used to work for a pediatrician and I have slowed on the formula and have given him some water but mostly pedialyte and pedialyte popsicles. He has had about 3 or so diarrhea diapers a day and hardly any wet ones. I was going to call the doctor on monday if it still persists but wondering if I should take him to urgent care. Do kids normally have diarrhea when the are teething. my son has been teething since around 4 months and never has had this problem with the appetite and diarrhea. Just wondering from other peoples experiences.
    djanowski775

Answer by djanowski775 at 9:37 PM on Jul. 24, 2009