Why won't my 8 wk old dd sleep in her crib??

She all of a sudden is fighting to go to sleep in her crib. She has been sleeping in there since she was 2 wks old. Now out of nowhere she cries and cries when I lay her down in there, whether it be day or night. Last night she was up until 1230 crying. I put a music toy in there w/ lights, and have her wrapped. Is there anything else I could do to make this easier? I don't want to let her cry it out, but am thinking that is the only choice. I'm affraid that if I start rocking her to sleep, that will be another habit I have to just brake later. Thanks!!!

Tiffany237

Asked by Tiffany237 at 9:27 PM on Jul. 24, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• she's 8 weeks! don't let her CIO yet! I'm a totaly CIO believer, but even then i only let my dd FUSS, not cry. if she cried for 2 minute i knew she wasn't ready for bed yet. so i'd get her and let her stay up for another half hour or so and then i'd put her down when i knew she was drowsy. maybe your LO is changing her schedule, teething, or wants you to rock her a little bit. maybe you should rock her until she's drowsy (if you want her to stay on a schedule), then put her in the crib and let her fuss a little.
    armywife43

Answer by armywife43 at 9:42 PM on Jul. 24, 2009

• I don't let her cio, I will go up and keep giving her her nuk. Then a few minutes later she spits it out and I'm back up there. Last night I did bring her down and she was happy go lucky. She finally fell a sleep in her swing. Then woke up for a feeding, I fed her, she slept in my arms for a bit, then she was fine when I laid her down til 730 this morning. She is not on a ny schedule yet, I'm just confused about this.
    Tiffany237

Answer by Tiffany237 at 9:50 PM on Jul. 24, 2009

• Wow-- I hate to see what your expectations of her will be when she's older. Man... if she doesn't invent the cure to cancer by 5-- you might just have to disown her!
    Anonymous

• anon that's mean...
    dont worry about it. She may be adjusting to being more aware and being able to stay up a little later. You can let her fuss a little, but if she cries for more than a couple minutes then she's probably not ready for bed yet. Try keeping her up for another 1/2 hour or so before you put her down. She's also learning when you are there and when your not.. a noise machine may help her to be able to calm herself and fall asleep. (Heartbeat bear.. music mobile.. etc.. anything to block out the noise from the rest of the house)
    kristal2146

Answer by kristal2146 at 10:32 PM on Jul. 24, 2009

• To the lovely anon poster you don't have to be so rude. UNBELIEVEABLE!!! I hope that when my dd is old enough to type on a message board that she won't have to be too scared to type anon~ grow some guts there girlfriend.
    Tiffany237

Answer by Tiffany237 at 12:05 AM on Jul. 25, 2009

• CIO advocates say not to do it before 6 months. Your baby is normal. Crib-sleeping is not what they're programmed for. Rock her to sleep. There is NO SUCH THING as needing to break a baby of anything...what has to be broken is parental expectations that are not realistic. They sleep on their own WHEN THEY ARE READY. What YOU do has absolutely nothing to do with it. This is something you have to LET happen. You cannot MAKE it happen. So break your expectation here. OK?

Answer by gdiamante at 1:31 AM on Jul. 25, 2009