Do you think we're headed for another Great Depression?

My mother in law seems to think so... she is stockpiling food and water like crazy... but then again she's a nut anyway.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:37 PM on Jul. 24, 2009 in Politics & Current Events

• We are headed into a greater depression than the Great Depression. We are in a period of deflation now, where the fed is still holding interest rates low trying to stimulate the economy. They can only do that for so long and then we will enter into hyperinflation. It is what happened in Zimbabwe recently (within the past couple years). Hyperinflation is where that loaf of bread that cost you 3.00 today will soon cost you 11.00. I have food stocked up, but then I have been stocking for a long time. As another poster said you don't know what might happen. For instance, the past 6 months there have virtually been no landscaping contracts for my husband. No landscaping and irrigation, no money. We had some money set aside to pay bills, but groceries would not have been bought. Instead, we have a year's supply of food that we were able to draw from. Having food in the house isn't crazy.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:15 AM on Jul. 25, 2009

• I don't think we are heading towards another Great Depression, BUT I do think America is going to see a lot of changes. I do not think they will be good changes, but changes.
    ronjwake

Answer by ronjwake at 9:39 PM on Jul. 24, 2009

• You know what they say "It gets worse before it gets better".

I hope it's not the case because you never know.
    LuvBug3

Answer by LuvBug3 at 9:41 PM on Jul. 24, 2009

• No, but I do think we are in for a long recession including NO new jobs. That is the main thing that will prolong this recession. No jobs, no buying. The whole uncertainty of what Obama is doing is scaring employers so they are not hiring. Everything he wants to do seems to risk more taxes for them. Unemployment first timers was up again last month......
    itsmesteph11

Answer by itsmesteph11 at 9:42 PM on Jul. 24, 2009

• There are people loosing jobs left and right. I know in my family my hubby and my brother lost their jobs. Just this week another one lost their job, he is an Engineer for a major Oil Company, there were 45 people that got pink slips on Tues.
    ronjwake

Answer by ronjwake at 9:47 PM on Jul. 24, 2009

• if not, we're going to get DARN close....

we are losing THOUSANDS of jobs EVERY MONTH!! just like itsmesteph11 said... no jobs, no buying....
    JuLiAnSmOmMy317

Answer by JuLiAnSmOmMy317 at 10:01 PM on Jul. 24, 2009

• I've got a few months food storage and some water too...but that's because it's been my experience that you don't need massive depressions or big disasters to want one.

Little things can go wrong, you can loose a job, or have a big expense pop up that makes money tight. Or you can be stuck in your house from a winter storm. I know my family has lived off of storage a few times for nothing really massive.

mogencreative

Answer by mogencreative at 10:13 PM on Jul. 24, 2009

• It wouldn't surprise me. We are starting to collect a week or two of food. Like PP said, it's really just useful to have
    wanderingmuse

Answer by wanderingmuse at 10:21 PM on Jul. 24, 2009

• I think it is a real possiblity. Unemployment in my area is more than 14%.

We have been stockpiling food and other supplies for awhile. I have even bought some pants and shoes in larger sizes for my boys.

My Mamo always said to prepare for the worst so you can fully enjoy the best.
    yourspecialkid

Answer by yourspecialkid at 10:41 PM on Jul. 24, 2009

• I think we are tip-toeing around it.
    CinderAmethyst

Answer by CinderAmethyst at 10:56 PM on Jul. 24, 2009