what do you when your child has night terrors?

MY dd recently began waking in the middle of the night or really early in the am and screaming her head off unconsolably, sometimes for over an hour. She is also kicking and arching her back. I took her to the doc who said it was night terrors.

livetolaughlove

Asked by livetolaughlove at 9:53 PM on Jul. 24, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• My 5 year old suffered from nite terrors when he was younger. There really is nothing you can do. They are basically still sleeping when it is happening. You just have to be there to make sure they do not hurt themselves in any way. It's a wierd/scary thing. I know it sounds wierd saying there's nothing you can do, but there really isn't. It's hard but you just have to be patient and wait it out until/if he grows out of it.
    dhalinka

Answer by dhalinka at 10:01 PM on Jul. 24, 2009

• My daughter wakes up in the middle of the night sometimes and just screams. I can usually get her calmed down after about 10 mins though. What I do it just turn on a soft light ( I use the fish tank light) and pick her up and just try to comfort her. If she doesn't slow down I usually turn on the big light b/c sometimes even after I pick her up she is still sleeping, and still having a nightmare. I would just try to comfort her as much as possible and let her know that your there and everything is okay. Good luck!!
    Trishy7

Answer by Trishy7 at 9:57 PM on Jul. 24, 2009

• my son went through this phase. what i did was get him and we'd sit in the living room and watch an educational show for 15min while we cuddled on the couch. when it was over, it was time for him to go back to bed. worked like a charm. after about a week, he started sleeping through the night with no problems. every now and then he'll wake up crying, but all i have to do is go in his room, reassure him that it was ok, mommy is here and cover him up with the blanket, give him a kiss and say goodnight. he's normally back to sleep before i even close the door. GL though
    armywife43

Answer by armywife43 at 9:57 PM on Jul. 24, 2009

• it's more traumatic for the parents ,and the child doesn't even remember them. My son use to have them and we would try to calm him down by talking to him, telling him your ok, wake up Boo. (that's what we call him) and try to get him to wake up. once he wakes we ask are you ok he nobs yes and we put him back to bed. they only lasted a few minutes.

northcarolinama

Answer by northcarolinama at 10:07 PM on Jul. 24, 2009

• i had night terrors really bad as a child and as i grew up they only got worse one day my mom found me in the bathroom cutting my arms up with the glass i had broke she took my straigh to see the dr adn i was put on a sleep aid to stop the terrors i was 14 at the time. but when i was younger she would make me sleep with her becuase i would always end up outside.
    ggiovanni

Answer by ggiovanni at 10:26 PM on Jul. 24, 2009

• my son has only done this once! he woke up very earlu morning, like 5 am, screaming; a scream that really scared me! I rushed in his room and he was standing up with his arms out, ready for me to pick him up. I sat in the glider and he laid his head on my chest right away, sucked his fingers and fell back asleep. Putting aside the circumstances, I enjoyed the bonding moment. it felt good knowing i could comfort him that quickly! He hasnt had an incident like that since. I'm sure it was a nightmare because we just moved that week and he was probably under a bit of stress.
    Owl_Feather

Answer by Owl_Feather at 10:45 PM on Jul. 24, 2009

• Hold them tightly until it subsides, then tuck them back in to bed. If it is night terrors, you can't wake them, you can't clam them...they're in a deep sleep and screaming.
    TiccledBlue

Answer by TiccledBlue at 6:04 AM on Jul. 25, 2009

• My oldest son went through this when he was about 3 and a half. We would just go in his room and speak to him in a soothing voice and hold him until he calmed down. It's a horrible thing to watch them go through but all you can do is just soothe them the best you can and eventually they'll outgrow it.
    Bethsunshine

Answer by Bethsunshine at 8:10 AM on Jul. 25, 2009

• my son is going though the same thing . some nights he will wake up screaming and crying and idk what to do
    lagurl

Answer by lagurl at 12:11 PM on Jul. 25, 2009