is this a common pregnancy feeling?

first off I am 18 weeks pregnant. Off and on tonight the right side hurts really bad...It right in the middle of my rib cage maybe a little up? It feels as if I have a needle just resting there but diggin. It hurts to move or when I breath and my tummy goes down it hurts. is this a common preg. issue or should I be going to the hospital to get checked out?

estauffer0818

Asked by estauffer0818 at 10:01 PM on Jul. 24, 2009 in Pregnancy

• I would deff call your doctor or midwife and see whats up with that I havent ever heard of that happing?!
    bennysmommy816

Answer by bennysmommy816 at 10:04 PM on Jul. 24, 2009

• It could be your baby's hands or feet in your rib cage.
    Keeely07

Answer by Keeely07 at 10:24 PM on Jul. 24, 2009

• could be gas, i had major gas pains early in my pregnancy. but, I am not a doctor!
    truthteller0722

Answer by truthteller0722 at 10:30 PM on Jul. 24, 2009

• ohhh I remember that.. yeah felt horrible to breathe. I always just attributed it to my organs being pushed around, but if your concerned it can't hurt to call the doctor.
    kristal2146

Answer by kristal2146 at 10:40 PM on Jul. 24, 2009

• Could be your uterus stretching... could be gas, but if it concerns you don't hesitate to call the doc.
    RutterMama

Answer by RutterMama at 10:53 PM on Jul. 24, 2009

• could be gas pain or a muscle spasm in your intercostals (the muscles between your ribs) due too the ever changing pregnant body many things shift around and become stressed. I wouldn't rush to the hospital, but you can call your Dr if you are honestly scared something is wrong. If you have something to relieve gas I'd take it, then i would try stretching or massage therapy to relieve it. At 18 weeks I highly doubt that your baby is high enough to reach your ribs. At this point in your pregnancy your uterus is a few inches below your belly button. I'm no doctor but i have been a massage therapist for almost 10 years now and this sounds very familiar!!
    angelbabies14

Answer by angelbabies14 at 11:03 PM on Jul. 24, 2009