Am I worrying too much? His breathing...

My 8 month old son just started to do this thing where when he's excited and breaths harder, it sounds like he's sucking up a lot of air and then breathing out really heavily. It's hard to explain, and I've heard other little kids do it when they get all riled up, but he just does it so much that it's starting to make me worried.

Have any of you experienced this? Do you even know what I'm talking about? haha

ours

Asked by ours at 10:05 PM on Jul. 24, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• My kids are realllllly old. But I'd guess that since you've heard other babies make the sound in question then it's just a baby excitement noise. Realizing themselves that a baby can laugh I know sets them off laughing a long time with gulps inbetween and body shakes too. They're discovering the thousands of things that baby bodies do as a baby themself.

Call you ped with breathing worries if he can't catch his breath. That's what docs are for and their nurses. Enjoy mommy and Congratulations!!!!
    Anonymous

• my one year old does it all the time. We freaked out the first time we heard it because she had respiratory issues when she was born, but we realized that SHE is the one doing it. It's just his way of communicating that he's excited, maybe you can teach him to clap his hands. Every time he makes the noise you start clapping and show him how. If he has an outlet for his excitement he may be less likely to do it, but kids do what they want to, and there's really no way or point in trying to stop them.
    kristal2146

Answer by kristal2146 at 10:27 PM on Jul. 24, 2009