hiccups and newborns?

why does my one week old always have the hiccups? am i feeding him wrong or what? and also how can i get them to stop he get really mad with them.

ggiovanni

Asked by ggiovanni at 10:13 PM on Jul. 24, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• My son always had the hiccups, it was nuts. My daughter gets them as well and snezzes a lot. I asked her dr. and she said that hiccups and sneezing is common w/ newborns and nothing to worry about. You are not doing anything wrong.
    Tiffany237

Answer by Tiffany237 at 12:20 AM on Jul. 25, 2009

• My son is 15 months and still gets the hiccups really bad. He got them a lot in the womb too. I haven't found a way to help them beat them yet.
    Anonymous

• if he's getting hiccups he may be getting air in with his bottle. Make sure the nipple is always full of whatever he's getting and that he's really latched on good. My daughter never latched quite right, she always got air in the corners of her mouth and she got them all the time too. There's not much you can do to stop them, but it might help to comfort him if you hold him over your shoulder and pat his back, it used to calm my daughter and then the hiccups were more likely to go away
    kristal2146

Answer by kristal2146 at 10:29 PM on Jul. 24, 2009

• No problem with hiccups - just watch & make sure he isn't uncomfortable. People thought I was nuts when I told them my son got hiccups in the womb! He ALWAYS had them as an infant and even gets them now (he's 2). The OB & Ped both said if he doesn't look like they bother him, don't worry at all!

Don't worry - you aren't doing anything wrong.
    RutterMama

Answer by RutterMama at 10:59 PM on Jul. 24, 2009

• my 7 week old gets hiccups at least once a day... it's annoying, but we just deal with it.
    amw529

Answer by amw529 at 12:27 AM on Jul. 25, 2009