What kind of backpack will your child be taking to school this year?

I am trying to decide what type of backpack will be best for my son. He really wants a character backpack. Which I think will be good for this year since the only thing he will be carrying in it is a change of clothes and a few folders. I also thought about getting a nice sturdy backpack with this intials on it so it will last him a while. The only thing is I remember as a child getting to pick out my back pack every year. I was always so excited about it. What kind of backpack will your child be taking this year? Does your child get a new backpack every year or only when theirs wears out?

JeremysMom

Asked by JeremysMom at 10:17 PM on Jul. 24, 2009 in

• Mine only get new backpacks when the old ones wear out. I made my older two kids get sturdier bags because they are in 2nd and 4th grades and these bags will be for this year and next (most likely).
    My younger 2 kids are going into preschool (she's only 3) and 1st grade. They got character bags (Wizards of Waverly Place for the 6yo and iCarly for the 3yo). The 6yo will use hers this year and next. I'm expecting the 3yo to use hers all the way through kindergarten (so 3 years). She'll only be carrying a folder all those years. Even in 1st grade all my son had was a folder and a pencil case and the teacher requested no large bags.
    justanotherjen

Answer by justanotherjen at 11:04 PM on Jul. 24, 2009

• My son's school has a strict uniform policy which includes lunch boxes and backpacks. So no fun character backpacks. I buy a nice sturdy one, so it will last more than one year. We really try to conserve resources, so we try to buy quality and reuse.
    On a side note, when I was a kid, my favorite backpack was one my grandma made out of a pair of jeans and a flannel shirt.
    Nathskitten

Answer by Nathskitten at 10:21 PM on Jul. 24, 2009

• we have to have clear or mesh.
    scooterpooter

Answer by scooterpooter at 10:29 PM on Jul. 24, 2009

• my daughter has a my little pony backpack from last year and my son has a cars backpack from last year. they barely look like they were even used.
    kd2kds

Answer by kd2kds at 10:34 PM on Jul. 24, 2009

• I get my daughter a new pack at least twice a year since she wants the "character" pack you mentioned, and they don't last...I thought of getting her a cool messenger type bag I saw a Wally World today. She was always wanting to borrow my diaper bags, which were basically messenger bags, to use for a book bag last year...
    rune2319

Answer by rune2319 at 10:37 PM on Jul. 24, 2009

• The character backpacks tend to not hold up well; it may not last the school year. Get a good canvas one (Jansport is not too expensive) and character backpack tags to hang from it.

Answer by rkoloms at 11:15 PM on Jul. 24, 2009

• try www.fourpeasonline.com
    their backpacks are AWESOME!
    abelsmama07

Answer by abelsmama07 at 11:34 PM on Jul. 24, 2009

• my soon to be 3 year old takes a small cars backpack to pre-preschool
    elias1mamma22

Answer by elias1mamma22 at 1:25 AM on Jul. 25, 2009

• My kids are homeschooling this year, but usually I let them get new back packs every year. Usually the old ones are fine, but its just something fun I let them do. I accumulated about 5 different back packs over the years and ended up donating them to a lady who helps families in crisis. I buy not just for what they want, but I also look at quality. NONE I have ever bought at walmart have held up well and I didnt want my kids to have the same ones as the other kids, so I got creative. The last 2 yrs, I bought my sons at the GAP. They even have the matching lunchboxes and I got them on sale. It was very reasonably priced and at the end of the year, it looked brand new. Then for my daughter, I ended up buying hers at the Ron Jon Surf Shop while we were on vacation at the beach. IT was a Billabong brand. That was by far the MOST quality back pack I have ever bought. I paid $40 for it but it was worth it. Get creative!
    momofsaee

Answer by momofsaee at 10:08 AM on Jul. 25, 2009

• My son gets plan backpacks in second grade he did pack out a spiderman bp on wheels and it didn't last long. So now it is plan backpacks that we get at walmart. he has used a walmart backpack on and off since first grade and he is going into 4th. However it is time for a new clean one.
    robinsi2000

Answer by robinsi2000 at 1:47 PM on Jul. 25, 2009