Is my 2 1/2 month old eating enough???

Since my son came home after delivery he has had trouble "pooping" and eating. the docs changed his formula twice (so ive tried 3 diff formulas) and he is now on similac sensitive. he seemed to have been eating it better but i can barely get him to eat 5 oz every 4 -5hrs, and he pukes alot of that up. at his 2 month visit he was 11.4lbs.Is that normal? he will b 3 mos on aug 15th. and he only poops maybe once every other day, once a day if im lucky. the doc put him on 1oz of diluted apple juice aday at 1 month old andnow on 2oz of diluted juice. worried about all the sugar but dont know what else to do. i rub his belly all the time and also do the leg movements. and when i try "tummy time" he screams and screams till i turn him over. dont know if the juice is giving belly aches. i have toldthedoc all of this and he says keep doing wut im doing. anyone have any suggestions? im a first time mommy.

Bradlees_Mommy

Asked by Bradlees_Mommy at 10:38 PM on Jul. 24, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• you're not supposed to give a 2mnth old juice. just formula. at that age they eat about that, 4oz every 4-5 hours, but maybe he doesn't want that much yet. try 4oz every 4-5 hours instead. also, try burping him more often, sometimes that's the only problem. also, after you feed him, don't have him in the sitting position. this crunches the stomach up which the formula can hit the esophogus and have him spit up. my son had that problem. instead, have him so that his stomach is flat.
    also, babies poop only about once every few days, especially at that age, sometimes they can go a week without pooping. they also look as if they're straining to poop, when really they're not. as for tummy time, maybe he just doesn't like it. my dd is 1 and still hates tummy time. cries every time i put her on her belly.
    Anonymous

• Try taking his ounces down and feeding him more often. Maybe 2.5-3oz every 2 hours. My daughter has lactose intolerence and she is now on soy. Soy constipates her so bad so my doctor has me put prune juice in one bottle a day (just a tablespoon). It keeps her poops like normal baby poops and she does it once a day.

On the tummy time, some babies just do not like it. We had to work my daughter up to it but she had torticollis (twisted neck) and babies with torticollis usually can not stand tummy time. Try a min at a time. Roll a blanket up and put it under his chest or if you have a boppy, they work well too. You do not have to do an hour at one time, if 2 mins at a time is all you get, then 2 mins is all you get. Good Luck hun and babies with sensitive tummies is no fun (we know from experience).
    vickwu

Answer by vickwu at 10:53 PM on Jul. 24, 2009

• I don't know about how much formula a baby is supposed to drink since I breastfed my 3 sons.

I do know the American Academy of Pediatrics recommends that babies not have apple juice. The very earliest a baby should have juice would be 4-6 months. White grape is supposed to be a good first juice.

The doctor may have recommended juice to try to get your baby to poop more. Giving juice to a one month old baby just isn't a good idea and I would be looking for a new doctor.

I would need to know birth weight to know if 11.4 pounds would be a normal weight for a 2 month old baby. Breastfed babies gain about 5-8 ounces a week in the first months. Bottle fed babies gain a little more. If your baby was average birth weight 11 pounds would be a reasonable 2 month weight.

It's normal for a formula fed baby to go several days between bowel movements.
    GailllAZ

Answer by GailllAZ at 10:56 PM on Jul. 24, 2009

• The first three of us were writing answers at the same time and said some of the same things!

Babies don't have to have "tummy time." It was something invented after some babies were having abnormal development becasue of the back to sleep campaign. You can carry your baby aroud, hold your baby in your lap, or wear your baby in a sling. You can do mom and baby yoga or exercises. The idea is to get the baby using muscles if she is spending long hours sleeping alone on her back.
    GailllAZ

Answer by GailllAZ at 11:02 PM on Jul. 24, 2009

• Try tummy time on your chest, while you are sitting up ! My DD loved that @ that age. One day I lay with her on my tummy. It actually put a lot of pressure on my ribs and tummy. I hated it and I could change position. Or even try a little pillow just under his chest.

Your baby will eat what he needs. My DD is little and sometimes doesn't have much of an appetite and it used to really worry me. But, she is not sick and settles well so I know she is full. THey won't let themselves starve! Just try to prevent the vomiting. That is not good. Keep upright for 30 mins after feeding. May sure that he is not drinking to fast and don't burp with pats but rather rub. My DD was a bit of a vomity baby but it seemed to disappear overnight at about 3 months. Her system just matured and now she doesn't.

The poo situation is normal. I would reconsider the juice though. He is too young for this. Try massage, warm bath and bicycle le
    mummylovebaby

Answer by mummylovebaby at 11:17 PM on Jul. 24, 2009

• yes start out with cereal for each meal now.
    maninblack

Answer by maninblack at 11:56 PM on Jul. 24, 2009

• A little prune juice with water
    maninblack

Answer by maninblack at 12:05 AM on Jul. 25, 2009

• try goats milk or 1%
    maninblack

Answer by maninblack at 12:11 AM on Jul. 25, 2009

• My dd is 2 months old, she is also on similac sensitive, she poops every other day or goes more in between, my doctor says thats fine. She does not spit up often, if you have to you can switch to the similac sensitive rs its for babies that spit up alot, but it may be that you need to burp more often. DD also only eats 4-6 ounces every 2-3 hours, more often then not only 4 oz at a time. If baby weighs over 11 pounds already then he is getting enough to eat so don't worry as long as he is gaining weight he is doing well. Good luck and try not to worry so much.
    BusyBeesmom

Answer by BusyBeesmom at 10:47 AM on Jul. 25, 2009

• you should talk to your doctor about similac alimentum, i had that very same problem with my DD she is 10 weeks now and she poops once a day or once every other day, have you tried alimentum?
    maryfer

Answer by maryfer at 4:00 PM on Aug. 1, 2009