• In the Spotlight:

would you ask your son's 16 yr old friend for gas money?

Your a Lcpl in the Marine Corps, your husband doesn't work and your low on cash, so would you ask your son's 16 yr old friend for gas money? I'm sorry but my son is not a bank and you need to tell your husband to get off his ass and get a job. If you can't keep gas in your car, then you need to budget your money better. I am so appalled that she would even take my son's money! I am so irritated right now. I told my son I want her number also!

He gave her $10 and she picked him up and dropped him off and it prolly only cost her $2.00 worth of gas and you ask his parents for gas if it's all about a ride, you don't ask him! ugh.

travswifey

Asked by travswifey at 10:53 PM on Jul. 24, 2009 in General Parenting

• I think it is good to teach your kids to offer to pay for gas money. Now since she asked, I would have given her a small amount and then not asked her for a ride again. $10 is too much. $3-4 would have been ok.
    Nathskitten

Answer by Nathskitten at 10:57 PM on Jul. 24, 2009

• I see your point and I agree. The thing that makes me mad or upset rather is 1. her husband doesn't work. 2. she's in the Marine Corps and should be able to manage her money. 3. yes $10 is a bit much!
    travswifey

Answer by travswifey at 11:01 PM on Jul. 24, 2009

• i see her point, because maybe there are other 16 year olds (that arent as courteous as your son) that may over-ask for rides and things..
    but regardless, she should have done it without asking and if it became such a bother, she should have came to you, instead of your son
    Samanthao2006

Answer by Samanthao2006 at 11:13 PM on Jul. 24, 2009

• I agree if it was an issue, come to me or say hey can we rotate pick ups, drop off's? I have np with that. She says she'll pay him back, well I know when she get's paid we'll see and I will tell him to allow her to keep like $3 for the gas, but he babysat for a neighbor when he was home sick from school mind you, didn't ask me and was gone longer than she said she would and he still hasn't gotten paid for that!
    travswifey

Answer by travswifey at 11:17 PM on Jul. 24, 2009

• it amazes me how some adults have such little ettiquette.. especially raising teenagers!
    ah well, it seems like you're doing a great job setting the right examples for your son. .and definetly showing him the differences between doing a good deed and being taken advantage of.
    Samanthao2006

Answer by Samanthao2006 at 11:22 PM on Jul. 24, 2009

• Well her being a Lcpl, she can't be much older than my son, unless she enlisted later. I just wouldn't ask my son's friend's for gas money. I would go to the parent(s). I'm trying to do the best I can, but trying to teach a 16 yr old the difference between good deed and being naive and played is hard, cuz they're stubborn. lol
    travswifey

Answer by travswifey at 11:33 PM on Jul. 24, 2009

• haha yeah my bfs lil brother (whose like my own) is 16 so i completely understand. and ive seen the kids in and out ..they definetly do what they want to do!
    it seems like at that age(which im only 21 so should really talk) its from one extreme to the other.. their parents are out of town &they all want to hang out&trash the house, but when its time to clean up the mess before they come back, not a single friend shows up.
    so its the same type of situation.. and he doesnt listen to me at all when i try to get him to understand.
    and im not in the position to call their parents or anything..
    so im jus crossing my fingers too and hoping most of them can live and learn!
    Samanthao2006

Answer by Samanthao2006 at 11:42 PM on Jul. 24, 2009

• I wish my son would have a party and trash my house. lol Uh my husband would have his hide! Oh yes my son has had the I'm your friend let's party and then oh no I wasn't in the hotel with weed and beer it was him [my son], my son's gf up in WV, they have never met, well she is a piece of work and on my last nerve. She was threatening to kill herself, as we're having this conversation about the money! I have played the "suicide" games when I was her age, so she needs to knock it off and stop making my son feel guilty. ugh A whole other topic though. lol

I have to say you didn't strike me as only being 21, you have a good head on your shoulders. :)
    travswifey

Answer by travswifey at 11:49 PM on Jul. 24, 2009

• aw thank you so much! =) i grew up kinda fast like the rest of em lol
    &yea the partys are a bit much - i have to look after him a lot, and it seems like even when his friends put him in situations like ur sons, they still hang out! .
    not to sound rude, but he lives with the grandparents &theyre a little oblivious to what REALLY goes on.. but you cant tell em anything they dont want to hear.

& girls like that are somethin else..HE had a girlfriend like that too (that even popped a whole bottle of tylenol!) she must have nothing better do to than play mind games from another state.. at least she cant play the pregnancy card!!!
    Samanthao2006

Answer by Samanthao2006 at 11:59 PM on Jul. 24, 2009

• Yeah I grew up fast also. lol Ah uh huh, my son wants to go live with his grandma when we get orders to Japan this May. ah nope not happening. I found out when the hotel thing happened, he smoked weed at his grandma's with his aunt's husband! My jaw dropped, umm no he'll go right with us. lol

I really wish they would break up, she is a whiny self centered little girl! If she even tried the pregnancy card, I'd be on the phone to her!
    travswifey

Answer by travswifey at 12:06 AM on Jul. 25, 2009