contractions

the more that i look into stuff, the more i believe that i haven't felt any real contractions. i am due in a week and i hear people talking about braxon hicks and my dr keeps telling me that the contractions will bring the baby down more or the contractions will do this or that... i know i have to be having contractions... i am already 2.5 dilated when they checked a week ago... is it possible to just not feel them? if so, should i be worried seeing as that is what you are supposed to time to find out when to go to the hospital?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:59 PM on Jul. 24, 2009 in Pregnancy

• The Braxton Hicks feel more like a tightening around your stomach. They don't really hurt. I can't remember when I started to get mine with my first... I think around 37-38 weeks. They don't happen all the time- maybe only a few times a day. Can't remember for sure though... I started getting them much more regularly 3 days before my son was born (I went into the hospital to get checked out). good luck:)
    bloomsr

Answer by bloomsr at 11:03 PM on Jul. 24, 2009

• no you may not always feel braxton hicks so dont worry it may just keep like light cramps and they normally dont last that long also if you are moving around alot you normally wont feel them either. Dont worry when the reall ones come you will know they will get painful and regular. but for the mean time sit back and relax and rest up as much as you can now before that sweet baby gets here. congrats
    J_L_Fshr

Answer by J_L_Fshr at 11:03 PM on Jul. 24, 2009

• i felt the same way.. i had a LOT of charleyhorses but didnt believe i felt any real contractions
    - the early contractions that dilated me were SO small&painless it jus felt like the baby was tucking into a little ball...then they stripped my membranes&it was smooth sailing! lol
    im sure if youre at 2.5 you're contracting ¬ even realizing it, which is great, do you stay really busy and maybe don't notice it?
    Samanthao2006

Answer by Samanthao2006 at 11:07 PM on Jul. 24, 2009

• well the braxton hicks don't feel like contractions. your belly just kinda gets hard..... you would notice it more by poking your belly than actually feeling it happen inside. real contractions probably won't start until you go into labor. when they start, you will definately feel them lol. sometimes they might feel like pain in your lower back, sometimes they feel like really bad period cramps.... so anytime you are feeling pain (even back pain), try to sit or lay down and see if it makes it go away. if it's still there or coming in 'waves' just look at the clock and try to note the time that you are feeling the height of the pain for each 'wave' (the pain might not completely go away inbetween them, so just time the peak). but don't worry about not feeling anything yet.... the bh contractions don't hurt and they don't mean you're in labor
    princessbeth79

Answer by princessbeth79 at 11:08 PM on Jul. 24, 2009

• oh no you will know when the "real" ones come on. i was afraid of this too. I had BH and i was like are these real ones??? all the time. Then when i was in labor there is NO mistake!!
    Anonymous