i have a 5 year old son that does not want to start kindergarden. How can i get him to want to go?

crazy8

Asked by crazy8 at 11:01 PM on Jul. 24, 2009 in General Parenting

• get him some cool school supplies (maybe let him help pick them out) tell him good things about it, like how he'll make lots of new friends, maybe get another family member to say good things about it in front of him. you could also make a deal with him, like if he does a good job going to school, then he will get a reward at the end of each week.
    mandielynn23

Answer by mandielynn23 at 11:07 PM on Jul. 24, 2009

• He may not be ready to go. Many kids aren't ready to start school until they are 7. It may seem nice to get rid of your kid all day but school can be more bother than it's worth.
    GailllAZ

Answer by GailllAZ at 11:03 PM on Jul. 24, 2009

• He may just be feeling nervous about the many changes and unknowns that lie ahead of him, which is completely normal. As much as possible try to include him in getting ready for school, let him go with you and pick out the supplies he needs, let him pick a special backpack, and take him by the school a couple times to show it to him, maybe even have him peek in the windows. Make everything about it an adventure. Try to look back and think of what you liked about school and share those times and feelings with him. My daughter was a bit nervous at first too, and after the getting there and seeing all the kids lining up and meeting new people she was so happy to be there, now she can hardly wait to go to school again. (second grade this year) I wish you the best, I bet he will adjust and warm up to it very quickly. Just reassure him that not only will he make new friends but he will learn fun and exciting things every day. :) GL
    MansfieldMomma

Answer by MansfieldMomma at 11:23 PM on Jul. 24, 2009

• He is experiencing separation anxiety. I would suggest you take him to see his classroom and talk to his teacher. The teacher should show him around and even encourage him to look at the centers. A really good teacher will not mind if he plays in the centers. And, don't worry (even though it's ok to) he will get over it and start enjoying school. If you take him and he cries, it's ok. The teacher will distract him. Also, when you show him his classroom and meet his teacher, take a tour of the school. Go meet his other teachers. Go out on the playground and let him explore. Talk about all the friends he will make and all the cool things they do in kindergarten. Tell him he will have to much fun.

I hope this helps.

Safirejewl

Answer by Safirejewl at 11:25 PM on Jul. 24, 2009

• He'll be just fine. It's a big adjustment for him, especially if he's used to being home with you 24/7. You can hold off until he's 7, but what if he protests THEN?

My mom stayed with my sister for her first week of kindergarten. I think it was only a 1/2 day program.

Does your kindergarten program have a "meet and greet" day for parents and kiddies?
    Anonymous

• sometimes taking them there before they have to do relieves some of their stress. They get to see where it is and what it looks like and all the cool things it will offer without having to stay. It's a desensitization thing. They do it with middle schoolers as well bc it can be traumatic going to a school for the first time. They have orientation so the kids can see what it's like before the first day of school. Try that and see if that helps

Answer by admckenzie at 12:20 AM on Jul. 25, 2009

• I agree. And even before school opens for fall, you can take him by the playground and play on the equipment with him and tell him about recess. You can also tell him what a typical day will be like and also let him know what you will be doing while he is there. Let him know how he will be getting there and back and that you will make sure he is safe and that his teacher will do the same.

Flat out ask him if there is some part of school that he is worried about. It might be something silly like he is worried about going to the bathroom during school or he's worried he won't know how to get home or that the bigger kids will bother him.

good luck!
    Julie411me

Answer by Julie411me at 2:12 AM on Jul. 25, 2009

• I also agree make sure he is involved with buying his supplies. If it is full-day and he eats lunch talk to him about all of the choices, if your school has a wesite show him pictures of the things they do. Has he taken a ride on the bus? That helped my son alot. Taking him to their playground is also a great idea. If you have friends in the area whose children are going into kindergarten get together with them so the kids know they arent' going to be alone.
    robinsi2000

Answer by robinsi2000 at 12:13 PM on Jul. 25, 2009