My 8 month old WONT sleep.

I have an 8 month old daughter. She still has not slept through the night. She still wakes up every 2 hours to eat. I have tried everything. I have let her "cry it out." I have given her water instead of milk, I have given her the binki. I am really just stuck. I need some sleep too. I have a rowdy 3 year old to chase after also. Got and advice???

MamaMac23

Asked by MamaMac23 at 1:56 PM on Aug. 21, 2008 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I empathize with you. My first child dind't sleep through the night until she was 10 months old. I thought I'd go crazy. I know this isn't exactly what you want to hear though....I think the real answer is that kids just do things when they are ready but every two hours seems a bit much for that age. Does she sleep a lot during the day? If so, maybe try very hard to keep her awake from 4pm or so on, even if it means she gets fussy for a bit so that she's really ready to crash at bedtime. I do that with my 4 month old now and it helps a little. Not a magic answer but helps him sleep a little more (like a 4-5 hour stretch).
    workmom247

Answer by workmom247 at 2:08 PM on Aug. 21, 2008

• Try swaddling. It helped my grandson. It is wrapping the baby tightly and they feel very comforted by this. Google it and you will see it is very helpful. Or I hope it will be.
    threeputt

Answer by threeputt at 2:18 PM on Aug. 21, 2008

• My eight month old does the same thing. I am guessing you breastfeed. If so that makes the night time feeding pretty easy. I have read that they my be experiencing eparation anxiety. So your baby might just want to know that you are there.
    b.bringer

Answer by b.bringer at 2:28 PM on Aug. 21, 2008

• You might try stretching the feeding times. If she normally eats every 2 hours, you might try to go 2 1/2 at night, then 3, etc. Not a quick fix, but if you try that for awhile, she'll get used to the fact that you ARE going to feed her, just not right when she wants it.
    tyheamma

Answer by tyheamma at 2:47 PM on Aug. 21, 2008

• My 7 month old son won't sleep. He is very active. I recently took my kids to the beach. He LOVED It. That night he slept soundly. I mean not a peep for the whole night. So now I am trying to do nature walks and other activities outside to see how he likes it sometimes it is hit or miss. I have tried wearing him out, instead of him wearing me out. Good luck and I'll tell you how it goes.
    AIKsmom

Answer by AIKsmom at 2:57 PM on Aug. 21, 2008

• You are not that unusual. Most babies, contrary to popular belief, do not sleep through the night at this age. Do what you can to help her get back to sleep, and eventually she will grow out of it.
    leahjoy

Answer by leahjoy at 3:22 PM on Aug. 21, 2008

• my son is 8month old..and he still doesnt still through the night...but its gotten so much better now..he used to wake up 4-5times..and he never fell asleep on his own..i always had to be there with him...nursing him to sleep...laying down with him..or just simply rocking him....I got a book called "the no cry sleep solution" by Elisabeth Pantley....and its the best book I've ever read (when it comes to babies and sleep problems)...I recommend you get the book asap...and trust me your baby will be sleeping better/even through the night in no time....and the best part about it...it does not involve much effort or tears.....my son falls asleep on his own now...during the day for his naps and at night time...and he sleeps in his own bed almost every night :) I see sooo much improvment...you'll see it works....good luck....
    RussianQT

Answer by RussianQT at 9:26 PM on Aug. 21, 2008

• we started putting rice ceareal in our baby's bottle the one right before he went to bed, and he slept all night long. we don't do it any longer, but he's still sleeping threw the night, everynight. and he's not even two months yet.
    Jessica1991

Answer by Jessica1991 at 3:36 PM on Sep. 4, 2008