Not feeding baby food?

I was at a friends house the other day and we were discussing our girls- i have a 8 month old and she has a 3 yr old and a 4 month old. We were talking about how many ounces of formula they eat(the young ones) and I was telling her about my daughters feeding schedule of bottles and baby food. She said she never gave her first daughter baby food. Has any other mom done this? It never occured to me not to.

Not bashing, just curious.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:38 PM on Jul. 24, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I don't feed my 8 month old baby food, I think it's a waste of money, I feed him everything we eat and he's just fine with it, like tonight he ate mac and cheese and he loves it
    looovemybabies

Answer by looovemybabies at 11:43 PM on Jul. 24, 2009

• when i went to a WIC class, i met a mom who said her children would get sick from the baby food.. and ive met others who went straight from formula to mashed potatoes and things.
    its not for me - especially because my son is 6months old & he doesnt get full from just formula, but i cant give him really any of the foods we eat.. if theyre not supposed to have much or any cows milk, how can he have mashed potatoes?
    i dont understand how they make the transition at 5-6 months old?
    i'm not knockin it either, but i believe its more nutritious&safer to start them out on cereal and stages 1,2, etc... so that they learn how to eat solids
    Samanthao2006

Answer by Samanthao2006 at 11:47 PM on Jul. 24, 2009

• OP here...... I've thought about doing that, just feeding my daughter what we eat, but lunch I rarely eat at the same time and I've heard so many things about not feeding certain foods until certain ages because it can create allergies and such. Like eggs. My mom had said not till 1. Is there a website for that?
    We're going to her pediatrician next week so I plan on asking her anyway, but I'm just curious.
    Anonymous

• For the first year of life, all a baby needs for nutrition is BM or formula. Solids are given for practice so that when they start eating table food, they're used to different tastes and textures.
    milfalicious08

Answer by milfalicious08 at 11:50 PM on Jul. 24, 2009

• OP again.....Samanthao, thats what I dont get either. If they can't have milk, how can they have mashed potatoes and mac and cheese? It's so confusing. lol. Everything and anything can cause an allergy. Although I understand the milk thing.....their digestive system not being ready for it.
    Anonymous

• I breastfed my 3 sons and they never had formula, baby cereal, or baby food. It's not hard, it's best for you and your child, it saves thousands of dollars, and its best for society.

GailllAZ

Answer by GailllAZ at 11:51 PM on Jul. 24, 2009

• I'm so new i dont know what OP means, but i think its a reply?

im with you on that one. i knew someone (who had children kind of "pawned off" on them without formula) and had no other choice but to give them whole milk at the time, and they developed some serious rashes...

earlier today, we had mashed potatoes.. and i thought about it, taking some off to the side JUST for the baby and instead of mixing in milk, mixing in their formula.. would that be weird??
    Samanthao2006

Answer by Samanthao2006 at 12:02 AM on Jul. 25, 2009

• OP means Original Poster.

Hmm....thats a good question though....mixing the mashed potatoe stuff with their formula. Not sure.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:12 AM on Jul. 25, 2009

• My son was EBF and didn't have any soldis until he was almost 1. Then I went right to regular table food.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:33 AM on Jul. 25, 2009

• A blender can be your best friend.
    ColleenF30

Answer by ColleenF30 at 12:48 AM on Jul. 25, 2009