To all of you home birthers......

Answer some questions for me please.
Where do you actually give birth? In your bed? On the couch? In the tub? How do you keep from absolutely ruining your home?
How do you sterilize your home before hand? I mean how do you know when you'll go into labor and know to clean for it? Do you go all natural or use some type of pain killers? Are all of you all natural?
Did you have a midwife or doctor of some sort?
Good experiences and bad experiences please tell.
I guess I have no idea how these work. I didn't have one and don't plan on having one as a personal choice but would love to be educated on it ;)

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:54 PM on Jul. 24, 2009 in General Parenting

• no experience here.. but have watched many GREAT shows on the TLC channel concerning home births that would answer most of your questions!
    Samanthao2006

Answer by Samanthao2006 at 12:05 AM on Jul. 25, 2009

• heres a website of home birth stories
    http://www.homebirth.org.uk/hbstories.htm
    i may not be helping at all .. lol
    but ide be interested in hearing about them too! it does seem like it would be so much more comfortable to be at home, but it would be terrifying thinking of something going wrong.
    Samanthao2006

Answer by Samanthao2006 at 12:09 AM on Jul. 25, 2009

• You give birth wherever it is most comfortable for you. You keep from ruining your sheets or what have you by using Chux pads. They're superabsorbent little squares that hold the mess.

You don't sterilize your home. You and therefore your baby are already immune to all the germs in your home. You are actually 10 times more likely to contract an infection in the hospital than you are at home.

Most midwives are not licensed to carry any kind of pain killers. Once in a very great while you will find a nurse-midwife or a doctor who will do homebirth, and sometimes they carry IV equipment with them to births. But you would still need to be transported to the hospital if you required pain medication, as I believe it is against the law to be carrying around pain medication in your birth bag, even if you're a doc. All moms who give birth at home do it without pain meds.

I am happy to answer any other questions :)

Ati_13

Answer by Ati_13 at 12:10 AM on Jul. 25, 2009

• There is a great group here called Natural Pregnancy & childbirth. Its not just about homebirth, but have as natural birth as possible no matter where you. Many of the women have had birth in a hospital. anyways, since I have not had a homebirth yet, I didn't think I was in a position to accurately answer you questions.

Oh and there is a great documentary you might like called the business of being born.
    rosesNclovers

Answer by rosesNclovers at 12:15 AM on Jul. 25, 2009

• OP here. Thanks! I hope to hear more! I'm not considering a home birth because I'm not pregnant lol but would love to know how it works so when I do become so in the future I'll have options! My first child was born prematurely at 30 weeks so a home birth wasn't an option and I never even looked into it.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:44 AM on Jul. 25, 2009

• OP, you can PM me if you want to talk about how to go about learning more about home birth. I could probably give you the names of some home birth supporters to get in touch with to learn more if you want.
    Ati_13

Answer by Ati_13 at 12:50 AM on Jul. 25, 2009

• I will be having my first home birth in October. I attended my SIL while she gave birth at home in the beginning of June. It was the most amazing thing I have ever been a part of. What I loved about it as opposed to being in the hospital (which I was with my first), is that there's no rush. You are completely free to move around and do whatever makes you comfortable. To help answer your questions, you end up birthing where you feel comfortable. My SIL planned on birthing in the tub and ended up kneeling at the foot of the bed to give birth. No sterilization is necessary since you and your baby live in your home and are immune to any germs. You have a higher risk of contracting something in the hospital where there are a million germs you are not immune to. When you birth at home, there are no pain killers. And for a home birth you usually hire a midwife and can also hire a doula as a labor companion. Good luck with your search
    keepinitsimple

Answer by keepinitsimple at 12:58 AM on Jul. 25, 2009

• I just home-birthed my first child in April. I had a birth pool set up and wanted to give birth in it, but I ended up giving birth on our bed. We had a shower curtain laid over our mattress and a cheap sheet over the shower curtain to contain any mess. When the big show was all said and done, our midwife and her assistant took care of all of the mess so we never even knew it was there. They did dishes, started 2 loads of laundry, mopped the floors, made us some food, and God knows what else. They were with us for 8 hours after the birth of our baby, cleaning, cooking, and being here for support. Midwives are generally not legally allowed to bring anesthesia to your home, so no pains meds. I'm do not live an "all natural" lifestyle. I'm slowing becoming more granola, but I'm far from being crunchy. Unless there was a medical reason for me to be in the hospital to give birth, I'll be home birthing all of my children.

Oaksmommy

Answer by Oaksmommy at 8:48 AM on Jul. 25, 2009

• I hope you don't mind me adding to your post, but I was wondering if any of these moms were scared to have thier first home birth? I am not pregnant either but when the time for baby number 2 does come I am really considering not being in a hospital. My biggest concern is suddenly the pain getting so bad that I just want to quit which obviously isn't a choice. Also, that something will suddenly go wrong and I won't be near a hospital. I guess you have to be fully comitted and work through it mentally.
    katie23

Answer by katie23 at 9:41 AM on Jul. 25, 2009

• Katie, midwives are trained to recognize warning signs long before they become problems. They will go over an emergency plan with you before your birth and they will know exactly how long it takes to get to the nearest hospital. They are also trained to manage smaller catastrophes on their own. They do not come completely unequipped, they just can't give medications or do surguries, both of which are very rarely needed. They also screen out any woman who becomes high risk during her pregnancy, so there is a next to nil chance of anything bad happening. 10% of home birth moms end up transporting to the hospital and most of those (like, 7 of those ten) are transported for pain medication.
    Ati_13

Answer by Ati_13 at 9:03 PM on Jul. 25, 2009