• In the Spotlight:

My dog is NOT worth this much

Ok, first off we paid around$1,500 for our pure bread Siberian Husky who has a lifetime guarantee and all this stuff, but really I just fell in love with his picture. It was obvious that he had a sweet personality. Well...I was right BUT he's about 20 weeks now and has expensive taste in what he chews. He knows he's not supposed to but he has chewed threw my shampooer cord (thankfully my husband was able to fix it), two computer chargers ($200 total and I caught him trying to chew this one), the corner of my lap top, and my phone.

Why does he have this obsession with chewing on these things and how can I stop it? He gets punished and rewarded consistently and has toys as well as bones to chew on. What am I doing wrong? I understand that he's a puppy and teething, but why does he choose the expensive stuff??

ours

Asked by ours at 11:59 PM on Jul. 24, 2009 in Pets

• Perhaps he is choosing the things he feels that you guys spend to much time on or with. Like the lap top and phones. Do you spend enough time playing with the dog? and what I mean by enough time is, how the dog feels is enough time.

soonmommyof3

Answer by soonmommyof3 at 12:04 AM on Jul. 25, 2009

• sorry you got oddie!lol

a cage!
    2mothershelpers

Answer by 2mothershelpers at 12:07 AM on Jul. 25, 2009

• My parents have two puppies (one they found on the side of the road and one my dad was given by someone he knew at a shelter) and they have destroyed the mud room/laundry room. My parents had to buy muzzles for them.

Maybe after he chews on something he's not suppose to, put a muzzle on him for X amount of time. It's like a time out.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:08 AM on Jul. 25, 2009

• He gets attention, but we have an 8 month old so on my list of priorities:

Baby
    Husband
    College homework
    Havoc (haha perfect name for him) & our cat Sammie
    Housework

I wish I could take him on walks more, but while my husband's at work there is just no way with the heat and my son.

ours

Answer by ours at 12:16 AM on Jul. 25, 2009

• Oh and we have a kennel for him. What happens when he does something wrong is we should him it, tell him no and that he is bad, put him outside then let him in and he gets ten minutes in the kennel without toys. Once he comes back out I remind him of what he did. After that we don't get mad at him anymore unless he does something really bad, then same routine.

Is there something that I could spray on my laptop and charger so that he wouldn't even want to be close to it?
    ours

Answer by ours at 12:19 AM on Jul. 25, 2009

• lmao u remind your dog of what he did.. really? do you think that works.. and the kennel is to be only used as a place for sleep not for punishment they will think the kennel is a bad place then, try getting him some kong toys for chewing and if your so busy with other stuff you should NOT have gotten this dog.. but now you made a commitment... so walk him DAILY play with him. take him swimming wear him down! take walks in the evening when hubby is home with that size dog hope you would have a yard for him to run around in. a dog like that needs attention/room to run/ and needs YOUR attention i have a 7 month old a job and other things but still make time for my dog no excuses.. anyone can make excuses.. you have a responsibility now its time to step up and act on them
    preggoinmn

Answer by preggoinmn at 12:24 AM on Jul. 25, 2009

• Don't put your dog in the kennel when he does something wrong! The kennel is supposed to be a place for him to feel safe and comfortable, and if you use it as a punishment, he won't want to go in there when he just wants to relax.

Get some Bitter Apple spray (5-12 dollars at any pet store) and spray it on all your cords, and anything else he might chew on. When you catch him chewing, correct him and give him a toy instead.

Also, dogs don't have the same concept of time we do; ten minutes in time-out won't do any good. He's a dog, not a child. You basically have ten seconds to correct his behavior when you catch him doing something wrong; any longer and he won't know what you're punishing him for.
    SarahLeeMorgan

Answer by SarahLeeMorgan at 12:26 AM on Jul. 25, 2009

• I just did some Googling, here's a website with some information that might help:

http://www.canismajor.com/dog/pupbite1.html
    SarahLeeMorgan

Answer by SarahLeeMorgan at 12:30 AM on Jul. 25, 2009

• soonmommyof3 is right. My inlaws took my purebred si huskey cause i had a newborn and another dog, just too much to have a si huskey at the same time.

having a dog is having another child, hands on love and verbal firm discipline is needed.

now 25 years after my si huskey i have a purebred two year old english mastiff. he weighs about 160 pounds now. we've had him slince he was eight weeks old and he cost 1300.00 He's eaten the legs and corners of my living room table, the door frame from of one of my doors, he trims my trees, he slings slobber farther than pigs sling mud. he howls in his sleep, he plays basketball in the middle of the night. the list goes on and on. he eats lawnmowers but he tolerates vacuums,

he's naughty like my children used to be when they were little getting into toddler, preschool and eleme. highschool trouble too he will be in like them.

I guide him into adulthood as i did and do my kids.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:31 AM on Jul. 25, 2009

• kids need exercise to tire them out, if he's told no constantly and not allowed to be active then he's not getting enough exercise.

why did you buy him being a college student yourself in charge already of a baby a cat and a husband?

a cheaper way to reprimand him than sprays or with sprays on your cords at lest is to get a water spray bottle from a floral dept of a supermarket and fill it with room temperature water, As he approaches a no no item spray his back or should with the spray. but not his face cause you want him not to be fearful of things in front of him to protect you.

the room temperature water spray will teach him when used with consistency as he approaches a no no and as he starts to chew on the no no item, the room temperature water spray will teach him to avoid those things to avoid getting sprayed.

you'll end up just having to have him see the water bottle in his eye sight and he'll stop seeingit.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:40 AM on Jul. 25, 2009