Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)


I have a 5 year old stepdaughter who just visited her mom and her grandparents for 3 weeks, when she came home she complained about discharge comeing from her vagina and when we took her to the doctor we found that her cousion who is a year older stuck a money clip in her. well the doctor called CPS and they are now investagating the mom and grandparents. We recently took my stepdaughter to be interviewed by a forensic person. After that they wrote out a family plan saying that there can be no unsupervised vists between the child and the mother, grandparents until this is all done with if we fail to comply with them then they can take the child away from us. According to our custody papers the mother is suppose to be able to get her ever other weekend, so what papers do I go by? and can CPS really do that? also can we get in trouble by the court for not allowing the mother to get the child like the papers say?

Answer Question

Asked by tiffanywalker85 at 12:09 AM on Jul. 25, 2009 in General Parenting

Level 1 (0 Credits)
Answers (14)
  • Follow the family plan. It trumps the visitation schedule, and any court will uphold it based on the evidence they found.

    I'm so sorry this happened to your SD. It's so tragic that anyone can do that to a child.

    Answer by milfalicious08 at 12:11 AM on Jul. 25, 2009

  • I would rather get in trouble by the courts for not letting the mother see her. She doesn't need to be around them! I would call who ever is in charge of the custody papers, talk to them!! Did you tell CPS this, did you ask them? I would be more concerned with the child's safety and well being and obviously being around the mother's family is NOT safe!

    Answer by Anonymous at 12:13 AM on Jul. 25, 2009

  • I would think that the orders from CPS trumps the custody agreement. If it goes to court then make sure you keep all documents from CPS and document in a notebook all conversations you have with the mother and/or grandparents about custody arrangements. I would write down time, date, situation and whatever is said by each party. Also keep all texts, email, and phone messages.
    It may be overkill but, it is better safe than sorry in this kind of situation.

    Answer by Nathskitten at 12:14 AM on Jul. 25, 2009

  • The court will honor CPS family plan to protect the child. If there is ever an issue just take in the Family Plan to show the court but I doubt if that ever happens.

    Answer by admckenzie at 12:14 AM on Jul. 25, 2009

  • CPS can positively do that for the protection of the child until they complete the investigation. The family plan supercedes the visitation schedule temporarily.

    Answer by GrnEyedGrandma at 12:15 AM on Jul. 25, 2009

  • You are going to have to follow the rules of CPS for the time being. Now that there is an investigation, previous court visitation papers take a backseat. I would hope you would want to keep this child away from that family though. What a horrible ordeal for a poor 5 year old to go through.

    Answer by Ash9724 at 12:15 AM on Jul. 25, 2009

  • I would find a lawyer asap and bring your papers. The court will allow CPS to make that determination based on the welfare for the child but I would still see a lawyer any way.

    Answer by goddessmom at 12:16 AM on Jul. 25, 2009

  • Follow the famiy plan and do the supervised visits. Don't let her take the child out of the house but let her visit her there

    Answer by Anonymous at 12:26 AM on Jul. 25, 2009

  • Do not let her have unsupervised visits. If the mom or anyone tries to make a fuss, tell them calmly about the papers--they will already know about and give one warning to call the police, if they don't comply calmly then call the police. You don't need anymore stress or ill will in this girl's life.

    Answer by Seven07 at 12:31 AM on Jul. 25, 2009

  • The CPS papers over rule anything else. Trust me you want to go with the family plan. If the mother gets angry then she can deal with CPS herself and try to set up supervised visitation through them. And is the mother does give you any problems let her know you are fallowing the Family plan and after that if she is still bothering you about it then you can eaither call CPS and report it or you can call the police and they will report it to CPS

    Answer by Anonymous at 12:57 AM on Jul. 25, 2009

Join CafeMom now to contribute your answer and become part of our community. It's free and takes just a minute.